Does this bother anyone else?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Does this bother anyone else?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Just curious how other hardcore hunters feel about this..

Alright, so around my home, which is in farm country (probably 4-8 small farmplaces per square mile, the rest is fields), there are alot of gun hunters. Most of these guys are the "typical" gun hunter. Get the shotgun out the day before the season and make sure its sighted in, hang the orange out on the line the day before, maybe throw a few new nails in the ol trusty stand down in that fence-line, and thats about the extent of their preparation. Anyways, the majority of the hunting is done by pushing..and by pushing I mean get 10 guys together, surround a small farm place grove, a few guys push through it, and when the deer gets out in the open field, everyone start shooting. If the deer doesnt get shot, watch which grove it runs into and repeat..

I understand that not everyone is a hardcore hunter and doesnt care as much as some of us, but does it ever bother you that you put in all the time and work scouting, learning, watching, walking, planning, etc to get that big buck and then other guys go out and get them this way..What about when you hear the guys at the bar/restaurant or local gas station bragging about how they shot the biggest buck around this year or something? Does it ever chap your just a little, or am I the only one that is a little bothered by it?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 pm

If it were not for all the deer drives and the ability for gun hunters to share tags there would be a lot more mature bucks in Wisconsin for sure... About all you can do is not do any, or allow any drives on your property.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm

i personally dont drive the area i hunt even though deer drives are alot of fun...i do agree with dan that there would be bigger bucks if no one did deer drives...
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I do not agree with this at all. But to each they're own. If thats how they hunt than thats how they hunt, I say at least they are hunting and not playing golf or tennis or something silly like that...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 pm

GRFox wrote:I do not agree with this at all. But to each they're own. If thats how they hunt than thats how they hunt, I say at least they are hunting and not playing golf or tennis or something silly like that...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never said what they do is "bad" or wrong... Just that it kills a lot of deer. ;) I got no problem with anybody hunting within the legal limits 8-)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:34 pm

I understand what you guys are saying, and I agree that alot more deer would survive, and not just big deer, deer in general. Most of these groups drop anything thats legal, since they usually have about 10 tags to fill..It seems that a decent number of mature deer survive each year because many of them hide out or eventually make it to properties that do not allow hunting.

The part I guess that I am bothered by the most is that they dont put in any time or work, and hunt this way (which gives the deer very little chance IMO) and still brag about the big deer they shot. Do you guys get a little jealous, or are you just generally happy for anyone who shoots a nice deer?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Do you guys get a little jealous, or are you just generally happy for anyone who shoots a nice deer?

I am happy for them... Don't bother me.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm happy for them. Even though sometimes after gun season you wonder how many of the big bucks you saw last year are dead, I've personally found that there are always plenty of big boys around. Besides, you can rate a trophy by the hunt involved not neccessarily the size of the antlers.

What would you look at on your wall with more pride? A deer running for it's life when it was jumped and forced across an open field? Or a buck you studied, patterned, and moved in and killed with your bow? What's more special? Shooting a buck you had no idea existed in a rut funnel or shooting one you were watching and learning about for months/years? Shooting a buck in the undeveloped northwoods or on a private farm in a well managed area?

IMO there are lots of ways to rate a hunt other than antler inches. I don't drive deer and if I shot a nice one this way Im a little unsure how I would feel about displaying the head.

As for running out of mature bucks, don't worry they are there and I truthfully believe the really smart (big) ones don't fall for a few guys walking through a woodlot or have a spot that is a great hiding spot. Afterall that is how they got big, by avoiding hunters.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm

I,m with u all the way Cornfedkiller. You hunt an area indentical to mine .Lots of farms lots of open fields,very little woods.Just small woddlots. A few public hunting grounds,which are usually around 100 or 200 acres or less. What drives me nuts,is when I,ll walk a half mile into a swamp to set -up on a buck and 15 or 20 of the orange armymen make a drive through an entire area.For guys like me thats all I have to hunt,so in a matter of a few minutes itr,s game over.The way the game is played around home is typically a group of 10 to 20 men which most have a few hundred acres of their own,they will team up run all the public and only sit in their own woods .NO driving their good woods ,but all public land is driven and all small woodlots .Property lines don,t matter if the deer runs to another POSTED woodlot they beat it over there and do a hurry-up drive load up and on to the next.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Where do u hunt by Cornfed ?
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Do that many big bucks really get killed that way? Driveing is huge here but they do it more in the pines, and smaller lots, not many big bucks get shot that way. Traditions are traditions, not my thing, but Indians drove deer, its an older way then us up in trees.
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Yeah there is not much public land near me since pretty much the only woodlots are people's farmplace and few abandoned farmplaces (which are usually owned by the farmers who own the land around it). They walk quite a bit of CRP grass too, which there is a decent amount of..

I dont think it really bothers me that they hunt that way, I understand why, but Im more-so bothered by the fact that they put down nice deer all the time without doing any homework at all..I guess it just makes me a little jealous or something when I put in all the work (and have yet to be successful on a big buck) and those guys just go out one day and put a nice deer down..but I guess the personal reward to myself will be that much greater when I look at my wall..

Also to me, a deer is a much more majestic (for lack of a better word?) animal than say a pheasant, and I just cant understand hunting them the same way you would hunt a pheasant, but to each their own..

I guess I just wanted to see how other people who sleep, eat, think, breathe deer hunting, and guys who are constantly thinking where to hunt, how to hunt, what wind will do what, ect think when guys who dont put in any time or work put down nice deer..I'll be the first to admit Im a little jealous (like they dont deserve it or something). (sorry Im kinda repeating what Ive already said)
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm happy for anyone that kills a deer legally....... I grew up driving deer and believe me we didn't kill alot of mature bucks (a few, but not all of em) and if you don't think walking 8-10 miles a day is not working for your deer you my freind need to try it sometime. :D
We no longer drive deer as the parcels got more and more split up and more and more city slickers bought up land and closed it to hunting.......Do i miss deer drives? Not really, I don't gun hunt anymore, but I see nothing wrong them.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't care for the whole deer drive thing so that is why I started hunting up in the WI Northwoods about 15 years ago. It's nice to still be able to get away from other hunters and still have a relatively unpressured hunt. In my favorite spot I rarely ever see another hunter and the deer still move thru naturally.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Party hunting is illegal here in Indiana however you can drive deer to a hunter, but you can't hunt them like rabbits with a group of guys jumping them up and everyone blasting at them.
I guess if it's legal it's legal, but I am not a fan of the practice. The only thing I can do is not participate in that type of hunting.
I just can't imagine regardless of the size of buck that I would take much pride in a harvest done this way. But then again I didn't grow up hunting this way.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”