Do any of you bowhunters NOT gunhunt ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

Do any of you bowhunters NOT gunhunt ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 am

Just wondering if any of you bow hunters only bow hunt, and don't go gun hunting ? I do gun hunt, but must say, my heart just isn't in it, like it is with archery.... I have a feeling some die hard bow hunters only bow hunt and that's it....

Cuttem Jack

Re: Do any of you bowhunters NOT gunhunt ?

Unread postby Cuttem Jack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:36 am

I haven't hunted with the rifle in 9 years. I got tired of the orange army here in PA where it's like a war zone during rifle season.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 am

I gun hunt, but almost because I feel obligated :? . I only hunt the first 3 days of WI season. That's enough for me. I'll probably take my son out after Thanksgiving. Wouldn't bother me a bit if I couldn't gun hunt. Bowhunting, now that's a different story, I couldn't live without it!
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:46 am

I do it more for the tradition of deer camp more then anything else we all have a blast I could care less if I get something or not during gun as I see it more about hanging out and having a blast during opening weekend. I think if someone gets a nice one it just adds to the good time were already having! 8-)
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:03 am

I gun hunt, but almost because I feel obligated . I only hunt the first 3 days of WI season. That's enough for me. I'll probably take my son out after Thanksgiving. Wouldn't bother me a bit if I couldn't gun hunt. Bowhunting, now that's a different story, I couldn't live without it!

X2
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 am

Not too much anymore. The MO opener this year I chose to go over to KS and bowhunt instead. My heart just isn't in the firearms season as much anymore.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 am

I don't and haven't in 3 years. The gun season here in TX is 2 1/2 months long for deer. I can bowhunt thru it all.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 am

I still gun hunt more for the tradition than anything else. Never really got completely excited for gun hunting because I am usually pretty bummed out and hate to face the fact that early season bowhunting is over.
So far I have not shot a buck with the bow and I know how much more difficult this will be after gun season but I will remain positive and hope for the best.
GBTG

Unread postby GBTG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:00 am

Used to to gun hunt the Chequamegon before the proliferation of baiting, wolves and 4-wheelers. I'd go again if they eliminated baiting.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:35 am

No, I do gun hunt but not with the enthusiasim as bowhunting. Sit opening weekend trying to get pressured deer and walk/ scout for second season bowhunting the last days of rifle.

Not the best times in the world, but it's Novemeber in Northern WI......still a heck of a lot better than going to work. 8-)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:50 am

As of last year I swore up and down I would not be gun hunting this year because I hated the DNR for ruining the herd in our area and the lack of deer we have been seeing. But as of August, we have had more deer on camera than ever before, encounters on every sit, and bigger deer on camera/spotted while bowhunting than we have seen in the past few yrs. I'd still rather bowhunt but gotta love getting together with everyone at deer camp. I will be hunting opening weekend through Monday. Heading to Fon duLac to hunt a buddies farm thanksgiving and heading back up north with the girlfriend after thanksgiving hopingto see her shoot her first deer. I personally do not care if I harvest a deer or not with the gun. But I am hoping to re-unite with the big boy I encountered while bowhunting that never gave me a shot!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 am

If I had to choose one or the other it would be bow with out a doubt. But, I do like shooting stuff with guns. That and the tradition and atmosphere of camp keeps it fun. I hit it pretty hard for the first 4 days and after that I mostly scout/still hunt.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:01 am

I do not gun hunt. I have no problem with it, it just not for me.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 am

DevinJD2007 wrote:I do it more for the tradition of deer camp more then anything else we all have a blast I could care less if I get something or not during gun as I see it more about hanging out and having a blast during opening weekend. I think if someone gets a nice one it just adds to the good time were already having! 8-)

You repeated yourself a couple of times :D But I agree, I generally don't gun hunt unless Im driving with friends or family but Im going to try to kill one with a boomstick this year. I want to shoot a nice one and have had a pretty frustrating season as of now.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 am

Surprised by all the non-gun toting bow hunters... And I thought the musky world was set in their ways, lol.

yeah I carry a gun during the season and I love looking forward to it just as much as I do being out there and doing it.

Do I look at my buck with the same regard as I do when I drop one with my bow? Of course not, but it's a tradition in my life!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”