HELP!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tutone84

HELP!!!

Unread postby tutone84 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

OK, AT 9:30 THIS MORNING AN ABSOLUTE GIANT COMES 500 YARDS ACROSS A CRP FIELD THAT I GRUNTED IN A HALF HOUR EARLIER. SO AS I'M TRYING TO FOCUS ON HIM AND EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO (TURN ON THE CAMERA, THE MIKE,) HE'S COMING AT A TROT AND CLOSES THE DISTANCE WITHIN 20 SECONDS. I HAVE 3 TRAILS COMING RIGHT TO MY SET, 2 ON THE LEFT AND 1 ON THE RIGHT I OPT FOR THE LEFT AND SWING MY BOW IN THAT DIRECTION AND THAT'S THE ROUTE HE TAKES, EXCEPT FOR THE BIG TREE BRANCH IN THE WAY EVERY THING WAS PERFECT. SO AS I'M WAITING HE NOW DECIDES TO COME TO MY RIGHT WITCH IS EVEN BETTER BUT HE DOESN'T STOP IN MY SHOOTING LANE AND GOES JUST A TAD FURTHER. MY BOW IS ALREADY PULLED BACK AS I LOOK FOR AN OPENING AND THERE IT IS, A CLEAR VIEW OF THE VITALS SO I LET LOOSE AND I WATCH THE ARROW SLAM INTO HIS.......HIND QUARTER. I HIT A LIMB. SO NOW I'M PRAYING FOR FEMERAL ARTERY, BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD BECAUSE MY ARROW IS BURIED IN HIS LEG BONE. IM DEVESTATED. 9 DAYS FROM SUN UP TO SUN DOWN, MY CHANCE COME AND GONE IN LESS THAN 2 MINUTES. I TRACKED HIM FOR ABOUT 300 YARDS, FOUND HIS SECOND BED AND RAN OUT OF BLOOD, AND STEAM. SUGGESTIONS WOULD SURELY HELP ME RIGHT NOW....PLEASE. WAIT THERE'S A KICKER....I FORGOT TO HIT RECORD...I'M SUCH A LOSER.

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Re: HELP!!!

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Do NOT give up!!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm

How much blood are we talking? Little drops or splatters? If you hit that artery he would be dead. I agree with Sam that you should not give up, but it don't sound good. The only hope is that he bedded, which to me is an indication that he's hurt pretty bad.... Did you jump him?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:24 pm

AT FIRST THERE WAS ALOT OF BLOOD, AFTER I HIT HIM HIM HE ACTED LIKE A LEAVE DROPPED ON HIM, HE WAS LOOKING FOR A FIGHT, HE WALKED 20 YARDS AND STOPPED, THEN MOVED ON. WHEN I GOT DOWN FROM MY STAND I WENT BACK TO MY VEHICLE (1/2 HOUR), TOOK MY HUNTING CLOTHES OFF, GRABBED MY BOW AND WENT BACK TO WHERE HE WAS STANDING AND THERE WAS ALOT OF BLOOD (AT LEAST A PINT) SO I STARTED FOLLOWING AND WITHIN 50 YARDS, NOTHING, SO BECAUSE HE WAS ON A RIDGE WHEN I SHOT AND WASN'T THERE ANYMORE, I STARTED HITTING EVERY TRAIL GOING OFF THE RIDGE UNTIL I FOUND BIG TRACKS, THEN I FOLLOWED THEM IN UNTIL I FOUND WHERE HE WAS BEDDED. SET MY HAT ON THAT SPOT WENT 10 YARDS FARTHER AND FOUND WHERE HE BEDDED AGAIN. SEARCHED THE GENERAL AREA FOR ANY SIGN FROM THERE AND NOTHING.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:36 pm

back out right away and id wait til noon tomorrow to look for him again! you more than likly hit the artery and the buck will die forsure..just gotta give him time and let him bleed out..the more you push the worse it gets! good luck! hope you find it!
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:41 pm

If you know someone with a decent dog you might want to try tracking him using that, it worked for me. :) Take the dog to the first spot of blood and start to follow the dog, some sort of hunting dog that knows a hunting command of encouragement is preferable. ;)

Hopefully you find him, otherwise just hope he can shake it off and live to give you another opportunity!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:15 pm

If you hit the artery the buck would be dead well within 300 yards. And there would be a highway of blood to follow. Like you said that is your only hope and if you didnt find him within that you probably are not going to find him and he will keep on truckin. Dont let it bring you down man it happens just try and learn from it, that is all you can do.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am

solocam88 wrote:If you hit the artery the buck would be dead well within 300 yards. And there would be a highway of blood to follow. Like you said that is your only hope and if you didnt find him within that you probably are not going to find him and he will keep on truckin. Dont let it bring you down man it happens just try and learn from it, that is all you can do.

X2...hope it went well if you were looking for him today, if you need hope check out this post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3281
When better is possible, good is never good enough
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks guys, out all day looking, nothing, solocam was right no artery, just a misplaced shot. Back to work on Sunday, (I don't gun hunt) it's going to be a loooong year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I deflected off a limb once and hit a 12 pointer in the femoral artery and it was dead faster than any heart or lung it I ever made... Within 20 yards of my tree. Blood giezered out of the wound high into the air. If the artery was hit he would of likely died in sight.
Is it possible the arrow got thru the hind quarter into the guts? If so, I would of left him over night and he would of been in one of the bloody beds you found.
If the penetration was not enough to get guts I would of pushed him to keep him bleeding...

I shot a big typical in the broadside back in the 80's and tracked him for a whole night but he finally gave me the slip. I was sick about it cause I had been hunting that animal for two seasons... The next year he was back and even bigger. I shot him the next year... Good chance your buck gets that arrow out and survives and learns a few lessons about running into calls.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”