Been fun so far

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Been fun so far

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 am

dan wrote:No reason to be pissed... Any time you get within 15 yards of a mature beast you have done well. I would of had a huge smile on my face ;)
Its not about the kill, its the thrill and challenge of the hunt for me.
Very true Dan. You know the history I have with this guy the last 2 years. I wasn't pissed because he got away but Instead I was mad because of what I did (used the can call). He really moved out quick when I got on It once and I really hope I didn't ruin my chances with him or push him to the neighbors property. It's gun season as we speak. :( What's the chances of hunting this spot again with success? Is It maybe a good thing It Is the rut right now and he'll not care as much? I'm clueless here. Never have I hunted a 5.5 year old buck before.

X2
But I would still toss the deer pee into the trash. Your already in the game making educated moves on this buck. Why take a chance with tipping the buck off by putting out doe pee? To me that's a desperation move you do when you don't believe in your set up and your just hoping you can pull one in...
I gotta agree with you here too. I really did believe In the set up. I was thinking more along the line of trying to cover up my foot steps. You can bet I won't use this stuff again even If It wasn't the culprit of him leaving. Damn I wish things would've worked out In my favor. Lots of emotions Involved with this buck the last 2 years.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 am

I really hope you get him... I can tell how much passion you have for this buck. The times your successful on a mature buck that you know well, really feel great and stay with you forever. The mistakes? Well they build character, we all make a few, and thats the reason there are still some big ones out there running around. In most of the areas we hunt in the midwest a mature buck has probably had many encounters with bowhunters before yours, being the one person to pull it off correctly takes both great skill and luck. Most of the big bucks I have taken were found to have old wounds, broadheads or bullets lodged inside them etc... You have already chosen to limit yourself with instinctive equipment. If and/or when you kill that Beast you will look back at the failures and laugh... There whats building your character.
I killed a giant 10 pointer in the 1980's that I hunted hard for 3 years. You bet there were plenty of times I wished I could go back and change a set up, do something differently, or in one case take a bad shot back...
But in the end standing over that buck, that was all part of the experience
and really made that kill my most memorable...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 am

dan wrote:I really hope you get him... I can tell how much passion you have for this buck. The times your successful on a mature buck that you know well, really feel great and stay with you forever. The mistakes? Well they build character, we all make a few, and thats the reason there are still some big ones out there running around. In most of the areas we hunt in the midwest a mature buck has probably had many encounters with bowhunters before yours, being the one person to pull it off correctly takes both great skill and luck. Most of the big bucks I have taken were found to have old wounds, broadheads or bullets lodged inside them etc... You have already chosen to limit yourself with instinctive equipment. If and/or when you kill that Beast you will look back at the failures and laugh... There whats building your character.
I killed a giant 10 pointer in the 1980's that I hunted hard for 3 years. You bet there were plenty of times I wished I could go back and change a set up, do something differently, or in one case take a bad shot back...
But in the end standing over that buck, that was all part of the experience
and really made that kill my most memorable...
Dan,

What you wrote here Is the best post I've ever read In the 3 years I've been on hunting forums. , them words are quite possibly the best words I've heard period anywhere. Thank you!! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”