Hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Hill country

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Im trying to help some friends get onto deer now that my tag is filled and i found a narrow strip of woods that the deer are traveling through. Its kinda simple, i think. They bed on one end and feed on the other. But there are two trails going through this woods and i wanna know which one you would set on

I hope the picture below makes sense but the ridge in that picture runs lengthways with the whole woods. There is a faint trail running along the side of that hill with a faint scrape on it. But the other trail is about where im standing and the terrain is flat This trail is also faint but it had a large fresh cleared scrape on it.

Which trial would you pick to hunt?
And it was rainning when i took this pic so no scent was left behind

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Hill country

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 am

Myself I would hunt downwind of both trails and come in from the downwind side not crossing either of the trails. If you can't setup without crossing one of the trails I would make sure you cross the trail close to your stand so you could still get a shot off when they catch your scent crossing the trail. I would setup thinking that my buck action would be more on the ridge trail, but would not want my scent to blow across the other trail. So I would wait for the correct wind to be able to hunt ridge trail. Just my .02 I hope it makes .02 to you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill country

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:59 am

If possible both... If not, hunt downwind of the 1st trail and if the bucks go thru on the second trail move the next day... Better yet, sit back and glass and decide based on what you see from a downwind distance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”