Still hunting/stalking standing corn fields-in the wind/rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Still hunting/stalking standing corn fields-in the wind/rain

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:37 am

Wondering if anyone has had any success with this? Its been raining here on and off (mainly on) all day..I'm in stevens point, wi-central part of the state. And forecasted for overnight/tomorrow is more rain and massive winds. I have a few hours between first light and my first class and a crazy itch to get out bowhunting. I have a few great public spots to hunt with standing corn fields on them. Sent my buddy to one last week and he saw 4 deer moving in the corn and grunted in a 5th but it was just a little guy. Anyhow I have intentions of getting out in the morning and using the wind/rain to my advantage as I creep through the corn peeking between the rows in hopes of shooting one. Has anyone had any success with this? If it sounds like a bad plan or a fail let me know I'll sleep in instead or go duck hunting :lol:

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
AC Rider
500 Club

Re: Still hunting/stalking standing corn fields-in the wind/

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:41 am

Sounds like a good plan to me - if they're in the corn that is :D
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:48 am

thats my question after two days of rain and excessive wind what are the chances they will be in the corn and not hunkered down in the thickest reaches of the conifer bog that lies a few hundred yards away??
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:51 am

I don't think a mature animal, likes to bed in corn on windy days. The noise and movement, is too much for them to take. The go somewhere where there senses arent't so limited. Just my .02.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm not too worried about tagging a mature deer! I have my eyes on a few and where they are bedded the game plans are drawn up I'm waiting for the right wind and the canoe I am picking up saturday to tag a big buck. Also have a 4day trip planned up north hunting with my grandpa. Hoping we can double up during the rut even on small bucks that'd be a cool experience I think. I am just looking to get out, see some deer of any size, and possibly put an arrow through both lungs of a tasty little doe.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Stalking the corn using the wind and moving cross rows can be deadly and exciting. I havent killed a deer this way yet but a coyote! A friend stalked up within 5 yards of a huge buck with a drop tyne in the corn on a windy day and blew the shot!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 pm

My friends uncle shot a 180 that way. Peakin down corn rows and shot it at 20 yards with a slug, the buck was snoozin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”