Recent deer movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Recent deer movement

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 am

I almost think deer have patterned my cover scent to being in correlation to humans....thus hearing snorts and seeing white flags....Sure it sounds ridiculous but from my experience the past few years it seems dead on. I just try to play the wind now the best I can. Scent elimination products are a huge gimmic if you ask me. Unless you cover yourself with the natural areas scent out in the woods I dont believe you can fool "Mature Deer." Maybe the youngsters tho. But Im not after the 1.5 to 2.5 yr old category and heck even some 3 yr olds I would pass in certain situations.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Recent deer movement

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:38 am

"Think about this: you're driving by a pizza place. It's doors are open and your car windows are open. Whether or not the wind is blowing towards you, you are more than likely going to pick up the smell. Why? Because of the intensity of it."

Your life doesn't depend on the dangers pizza places present to you so you're not going to try to decifer if the source of the faint pizza smell...could potentially kill you. Nor do you have the equipment to decifer that scent, but deer do. From what have I read- an older deer is geared to pick out what smells do and don't present a danger to him and he acts accordingly. Like Dan said an oder that is present where a buck normally doesn't encounter that scent is going to alarm him no matter what.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”