Recent deer movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Recent deer movement

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am

All this week, deer have started to move out of their bedding at exactly 5:45PM in my neck of the woods. The precision of it has been astounding! And I've been set up at a different location each evening out. Yesterday it was a bit noisy out so after getting settled in my stand I rattled and a spike came in 15 minutes later. It was 4PM. He hung around working the scrapes and sniffing around. I was low, only 10 feet or so up, and the wind was shifty, but he didn't spook, thanks to my TruCarbon and scent routine. Then, like clockwork, at 5:45PM I hear the herd coming out of the swamp. A 1.5 year old 6 point thrashed on some brush upwind of me and then headed straight down and worked the scrapes that the spike had worked early. He hung around five minutes or so, once again on shifty winds and never spooked or gave any indication that he smelled me, then headed on. At one point my wind was blowing right to him, 15 yards away.

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: Recent deer movement

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:07 pm

NatureBoy wrote: At one point my wind was blowing right to him, 15 yards away.

Just curious if you let a milkweed floatie go when he was "downwind" to see if your scent stream was actually going past his nose? I have noticed alot of times it "looks" like my scent would be going right at a deer, only to see the floatie go up or be misdirected by a tree and go around where the deer was standing or walked past.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 pm

NatureBoy wrote:All this week, deer have started to move out of their bedding at exactly 5:45PM in my neck of the woods. The precision of it has been astounding! And I've been set up at a different location each evening out. Yesterday it was a bit noisy out so after getting settled in my stand I rattled and a spike came in 15 minutes later. It was 4PM. He hung around working the scrapes and sniffing around. I was low, only 10 feet or so up, and the wind was shifty, but he didn't spook, thanks to my TruCarbon and scent routine. Then, like clockwork, at 5:45PM I hear the herd coming out of the swamp. A 1.5 year old 6 point thrashed on some brush upwind of me and then headed straight down and worked the scrapes that the spike had worked early. He hung around five minutes or so, once again on shifty winds and never spooked or gave any indication that he smelled me, then headed on. At one point my wind was blowing right to him, 15 yards away.

The 1.5 year old won't make it to two..........

Do not fool yourself about tru-carbon and scent control. :mrgreen:

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I have deer seemingly down wind quite often that don't show signs of spooking. Especially young bucks. I doubt its cause of my scent control.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:51 pm

lungbuster wrote:I have noticed alot of times it "looks" like my scent would be going right at a deer, only to see the floatie go up or be misdirected by a tree and go around where the deer was standing or walked past.

Yes, I've seen that too. That was not the case in this sit though. Not only was the wind shifting, but the deer was right under my stand. And yes, my milkweed wind checkers are in full use.
Zap wrote:The 1.5 year old won't make it to two..........
marty
Thanks Marty, those are very helpful statements :mrgreen:
dan wrote:I have deer seemingly down wind quite often that don't show signs of spooking. Especially young bucks. I doubt its cause of my scent control.

Hey, you guys might be right about the whole scent control thing. All I know is what I have experienced. I'm confident that without it, I wouldn't have seen any deer, young or old, that sit. Have any of you tried TruCarbon? First year for me. I'm open to trying any new tool. BTW, this a a very heavily hunted piece. Even the spikes look up in the trees looking for hunters. They spook at seeing even a treestand. I'm sure the young deer would have spooked if they would have scented me.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Im sure they smelled you, those young bucks are just not very smart. I use no scent control and they have followed my scent trail to my tree many times. I actually have more success since I stopped scent control measures because I hunt smarter and never try to cheat the wind.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm

GRUD wrote:...those young bucks are just not very smart...

Guess we all agree on that point.
GRUD wrote:I use no scent control and they have followed my scent trail to my tree many times.

You wouldn't see those kinds of results around here. I assume you are hunting low pressured areas, at least compared to my area.
GRUD wrote:I hunt smarter and never try to cheat the wind.

I totally agree about playing the wind. However, the wind doesn't play fair. Hunt long enough and you will get burned, over and over again. Like I said, for me scent control (not elimination) is one more tool in my .
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 am

NatureBoy wrote:Yes, I've seen that too. That was not the case in this sit though. Not only was the wind shifting, but the deer was right under my stand. And yes, my milkweed wind checkers are in full use.

Just because the deer was under your stand doesn't mean he could have winded you, I don't think my scent is ever directly below my stand when the wind is moving even slightly.....So when the deer came in you actually saw the milkweed go right to the deer's nose? I am not trying to bash your scent control theory, just wanting more information to totally understand if indeed the carbon whatever actually worked.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:06 am

NatureBoy wrote:
Zap wrote:The 1.5 year old won't make it to two..........
marty
Thanks Marty, those are very helpful statements :mrgreen:

Your welcome.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:25 am

lungbuster wrote:So when the deer came in you actually saw the milkweed go right to the deer's nose?

No, they didn't blow right down to his nose. Thermals were still rising at 4:30PM and the milkweeds didn't drop straight down. So, it is possible that my scent was blowing over his head at 15 yards, even if the weeds were blowing straight towards him. I really don't know which is heavier, human scent molecules or milkweeds. Still, I had just ascended my stand 1/2 before. I'm sure if I would have gone in w/out the scent control measures, he would have spooked from the scent left on the ground. He sniffed all around my tree looking for the other bucks that he had "heard" and never bolted from my scent. And when the other deer came out of the swamp at 5:45, the thermals had switched and were dropping. Still, I will continue to monitor the product and report back on any more negatives or positive I find.

Let me reiterate the original purpose of this post: deer moved at 1/2 hour before dark all last week in my neck of the woods :D. AM movement was minimal and most deer were bedded down before first light.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:21 am

NatureBoy wrote:Let me reiterate the original purpose of this post: deer moved at 1/2 hour before dark all last week in my neck of the woods . AM movement was minimal and most deer were bedded down before first light.

I'm with you Natureboy. That was the point of your post - thanks for the info.
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 am

all the deer I have seen start moving around 5:30 and later, or when the sun sets below the tree line!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:29 am

Saw the most movement at around 5:30 yesterday.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

Have any of you tried TruCarbon?

No... But I have studied the use of carbon to filter human scent molecules enough to know they have yet to come up with anything effective at stopping your scent from releasing into the scent stream.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am

dan wrote:
Have any of you tried TruCarbon?

No... But I have studied the use of carbon to filter human scent molecules enough to know they have yet to come up with anything effective at stopping your scent from releasing into the scent stream.

Stopping your scent is not what I expect from the product. As you've often said, you'd have to be in a plastic bubble to achieve that. I agree with that. Reducing scent to a point that the deer don't spook when the wind swirls is all I hope for in this product. Hope it works. If it doesn't, I will report my findings honestly. I have nothing to gain or lose from it. I don't sell it or represent it in any way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”