Do you stop the deer, or not ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Do you stop the deer, or not ?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 am

I have never been a fan of using any sounds to stop a deer because in my experience it immediately puts them on alert.
I have used a grunt call to stop a buck during the rut a few times on a buck chasing a doe with some success because they seem a little less aware and more focused on breeding.

huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:04 am

making sounds does put deer on alert but with the speed of the new bows today...that arrow just slices right through them before they know it..also depends how far the deer is
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:16 am

huntinfool14 wrote:making sounds does put deer on alert but with the speed of the new bows today...that arrow just slices right through them before they know it..also depends how far the deer is

Did you ever see slow motion video of a deer ducking an arrow?
The reflexes of a deer are unbelievable and I don't think they make a bow that is fast enough to beat them. But like you said it depends on how far of a shot but I think if you are shooting over 10 yards they can and will easily jump the string when they are on high alert.
Your best bet is to aim low in the kill zone just in case they drop.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:20 am

i agree when in doubt just aim low and when they duck...the arrow should just fall right into place
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 pm

I will stop them if the shooting lane is tight, I have never had one jump the string after being stopped by a soft bleat or clicking sound I have made. I would suspect hunting pressure would have deer more readily jumping the string when stopped. I made a poor shot decision earlier this year on a walking doe in a tight lane and eneded up hitting her too far back, will never shoot at a walking deer in that situation again. I would rather have one duck alittle than hit too far back.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 am

Dor wrote:I stop them in tight lanes if need be, but close deer just get the hammer as they move by.

X2
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:20 am

Bump.

Another great topic.

When in doubt I stop them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:22 am

Yep. It works 100% of the time for me. Can't ever remember a deer spooking when I have blatted

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 am

100% of the time I bleat to stop them. It cost me a target buck in maine 2013. Meehhh he bolted. But he was 10yds. Killed buck last year at 10yds. Meehh. I do not shoot moving deer. That's just me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 am

I can't think of a time when stopping a deer cost me the opportunity.

I read an article 10 years ago or so that had everything penciled out mathematically. Arrow speed, the time it takes for the sound of the shot to reach the deer, and deer's reaction time when they drop to load their legs. The conclusion: it was impossible for a deer to jump the string at 18 yards or less.

Here's my two cents: if he's close enough he CAN'T jump the string, why not stop him? To me the chances of him bolting are very minimal. Why shoot a moving target if you don't have to?

On anything over 20, yeah it's possible they can duck it. Whether you stop them or not they can and do. My dad had it happen on a relaxed feeding doe at 25 yards years ago. To me taking a shot at a moving deer at that distance is very risky. Heck people miss and make marginal shots on deer at 15-20 yards that AREN'T moving.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:04 am

mainebowhunter wrote:100% of the time I bleat to stop them. It cost me a target buck in maine 2013. Meehhh he bolted. But he was 10yds. Killed buck last year at 10yds. Meehh. I do not shoot moving deer. That's just me.

I have had it startle a deer if they're close on a quiet day. They didn't bust though. Now I give them a soft "meh" or lip/mouse squeak, then a loud one if they don't hear it.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:20 am

That's very situation dependant for me. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am

I prefer them to stop on their own...but if they won't stop, I give them the ol' "meeeaaaaat." 60% of the time, it works, every time.
"If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way. You have to go places no others can get to. You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too." --Dr. Seuss
MNHUNTER23

Unread postby MNHUNTER23 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:44 am

I always stop them if needed and I've never had a deer spook from it. Shooting at a moving deer with a bow seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Lockdown wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:100% of the time I bleat to stop them. It cost me a target buck in maine 2013. Meehhh he bolted. But he was 10yds. Killed buck last year at 10yds. Meehh. I do not shoot moving deer. That's just me.

I have had it startle a deer if they're close on a quiet day. They didn't bust though. Now I give them a soft "meh" or lip/mouse squeak, then a loud one if they don't hear it.

Thing ran like a scalled cat...tail down, darting side to side...lol. He came out of his skin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”