Winter beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Winter beds?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:21 am

Say you jump a buck and then pick up his shed right there in his bed. He really does not have any rubs right in his bed they are all out about 20 yards or further. I know a lot of times there are rubs right in the bed. So could this be a rut and winter bed. or could it be used all year long?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Winter beds?

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 am

Good question... But thats hard to answer without seeing the bed, and area. Some mature bucks don't rub much at all... My biggest buck did not have a rub within 100 yards of the bed I shot him in, and I new he was using it on a regular basis for at least 2 years, and I saw a different 160 class buck bed there on another occasion...
The way I would determine if it was an all year bedding area is by the amount of wear in the bed. The only way to really describe it is to say that beds that are used a lot, look like they are used a lot... Worn to the dirt, leaves gone in the bed, trails worn coming to and from bed... etc.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Winter beds?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Ok, thanks This specific buck seems to rub a lot because he has one heck of a rub-line where he walks through the swamp. he also has another bed i know he uses in the winter and it does not have any rubs nearby. I think its the personality this buck has.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”