Public Land Hotspot????

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Public Land Hotspot????

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:45 pm

I scouted some public land during this weekend and I found a spot via topo and dnr managed lands that needed investigation. So I scouted and found a good funnel. Im attaching a topo map and aerial photo for reference with added notes to it.

Now for some questions:

1. I asked before but I will again, there is a thick patch of spruce and popple just to the east of the funnel/stand location. Would this be a doe bedding area? Its up high and Its surrounded by hardwoods forest.

2. When most likely would this funnel be utilized during daylight? Or when would be the best time to hunt it all day long during the rut?

3. Which prevailing wind direction should I hunt it in? Im planning on hunting it with a Northwest wind because I would think the bucks would scent check that thicket on the south side of it then use the funnel to go to a new doe bedding area or new patch of woods without me being smelled.

4. Im not sure how to go about entry to the stand, the land just south of the funnel is private owned.

5. As of right now Im pumped about finding it because I think its a good spot with the trees connecting the two woodlots and the topo showing a funnel point. There are many trails that connect right at the funnel. What do you guys think of this spot from what you see?

Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts are appreaciated Thanks guys!

Zap

Re: Public Land Hotspot????

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:06 pm

N/W wind blow's your scent across the open area and right to the point to the S/E.
Look's like a good spot, I would say straight North wind and access from the South.
Maybe good for a rut hunt, time will tell.

Good luck

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Public Land Hotspot????

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:57 am

1. I asked before but I will again, there is a thick patch of spruce and popple just to the east of the funnel/stand location. Would this be a doe bedding area? Its up high and Its surrounded by hardwoods forest.

Yes... But I would also expect doe bedding at the points of the ravines, as well as buck bedding.

2. When most likely would this funnel be utilized during daylight? Or when would be the best time to hunt it all day long during the rut?

I am not sure where your hunting regionally? I would hunt it when your area has peak chase and cruising going on. I would get to that stand before daylight and sit till at least 1:am better yet, all day.

3. Which prevailing wind direction should I hunt it in? Im planning on hunting it with a Northwest wind because I would think the bucks would scent check that thicket on the south side of it then use the funnel to go to a new doe bedding area or new patch of woods without me being smelled.

South, North, NW.
I think bucks are going to cruise that funnel regardless of that thicket to check the doe bedding on the tops of the ravines and along the edge of the CRP.

4. Im not sure how to go about entry to the stand, the land just south of the funnel is private owned.

I would likely come thru the field above straight to the stand from the North heading South.

5. As of right now Im pumped about finding it because I think its a good spot with the trees connecting the two woodlots and the topo showing a funnel point. There are many trails that connect right at the funnel. What do you guys think of this spot from what you see?

To me this is an obvious funnel that might attract other hunters. I would give it one hunt, maybe two... See what happens. I prefer to move daily, even in the rut. You may also consider hunting near the head of some of the ravines. A little less obvious to others, but the deer are usually just as funneled to a crossing spot near the top of those ravines.. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”