Solo trip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: Solo trip

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Nice work Deb. 8-)

huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 am

Part Deaux:

I have had 5 nights of long hours at work, with 3 of them, no breaks, one was 15.5 hrs long, another 13.5 and one 13, the other 2 the usual 12. 4-5 hrs sleep at the most every one of those days. Too tired to drive straight home after work yesterday, so slept 5 hours came home,did a few things and went to bed.
The alarm went off this am at 4. I really, really thought about not going out. But, the hunter took over.
And the need to kill something to let off stress!!!!
Just when did I become a hunter? Guess it was when I went to Wisconsin, as I never hunted with a weapon before, only a camera.
Anyway, I get to my blind that I and a friend who, he and his wife came to hunt with me last weekend, brushed in really well and not near a feeder. The nearly full orange moon was setting on my blind. I saw 2 shooting stars, 1 right after getting set in the blind.
Yep, gonna be a good day. Might even get a deer!!!!!
I heard about 3 light blows as I was slowly walking to the blind. I did not use a light as this area is where I have been seeing does nearly every trip in. I don't think it knew what it was blowing at, just something moving.
I am in the blind around 5:40am. Almost fall back to sleep before daylight hits, but, I was "awakened" by a couple grunts. Hmmm, I think, hope that was a spike and he waits til light to come by. He's hanging out where the girls sleep. I have heard of some chasing going on around here (In TX), but have not seen it myself.
Daylight comes, my site lights up (needs some sunlight to do it), I can see the pins, and good to go. I see several deer, mostly does, yearlings and a couple fawns. A very nice buck I've seen before from the same blind only in the afternoon. All in all, 12-14 deer.
A spike walks out 23 yds and stops broadside with a slight quartering to angle. I shoot, the arrow hits some grass and deflects downward. He trots off not knowing what happened. He decides he doesn't want to come back and see what it might have been and off he meanders.
At around 8:00 am no more deer. Hmmmm, they've went to bed. I decide to play a little Yahtzee, get 2 rounds in it, look up and there is a doe, 25 yards away.
She moves around eating grass around the cedar right there, comes back around to where I saw her 1st, stops and I let her have it. I see blood at the entrance and she turns and I see blood running out the big exit. Dead deer, I know it. I decide to give her 15 minutes (13.5 more than she needed!!!!)
I do my little sitting on the stool dance, quietly as I nock another arrow, then decide it's nearly 80 degrees already, and ask myself, "Self, how many deer do you want to clean today?"
So 15 minutes have passed, another deer has not come. I put the arrow back in the quiver and decide I need to get this deer on ice.
I walk over with a little dance in my step, (female version of chest thumping!!!!!hehehheehe) and find this:
Then I find the arrow I shot at the spike 6 feet away clean as could be as I knew it was. I go back to the bloody arrow and am amazed, yet again, how these hot pink Victory arrows really show the blood. I look to my right and see this:
Follow the beautiful red trail and find her 15 yards from the shot:
What I thought initially was double lung ended up being right liver to left lung and sliced the aorta. I took a few pics and field dressed her and put her in the back of my car and get to the gas station and get ice on her. Off to the processor to take her in and pick up the one from last week.
My freezer is full. I have 5 tags, 2 are done. The other 3 are either/or tags. A hunt next weekend that will allow me to take 2 deer and a hog. The deer can be either sex and I can take 2 bucks (any age/size) a doe, 2 does, or a buck and a doe. Whatever I want and a hog. This hunt will be a group hunt with Michel(Liberty-Hunt).
So I decided the rest of today is getting stuff done at home. Or go by another freezer!!!
Home wins, Will hunt tomorrow and donate the meat to a few people I know out of work. I hunt on Friday with Nate, for hogs. Nate is the guy I came to hunt hogs with for the first time a few years ago. Should I be lucky, we will eat that at the hunt next weekend, at least part of it as I can squeeze a few chops in the freezer yet!!!!!!
God, I love lemonade!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am

CONGRATS!!! Arrows flying like crazy for you :D
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:28 am

Congrats again Deb, and some nice table fare at that!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am

Thank you !!!! I chose not to hunt tonite as the freezer is getting full and to not bugger it too much for when Michel gets here. Backstraps tonite. The grill is going, just waiting for the coals to get right. Sweet corn on the cob to go on the grill, too. Pumpkin pie for dessert. Will hunt again in the AM, probably same spot if the wind is right and I can get out of bed. I'm about a month behind on sleep. I wanted 2 does before Michel got here and I met that goal. So I can focus soley on his hunt and film him. I will take my bow though to help try to do as the landowner wants,knock down the doe #'s but Michels chances and attempts will supercede mine. Should we have multiple shot opps, than both bows will fire together!!!! The camera will be on it's own and hopefully capture the event!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 am

Cool... Hopefully you will get to be there when he sees and shoots his first whitetails.. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am

yep, best of luck to Michel- I've got confidence hn will help him get the job done! 8-)
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks Scott!!!! That means alot to me!!!!!!
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Wow Congrats on all the backstrap Deb! You're a killing machine! 8-) I have a buddy that hunts the hill country, can't remember exactly where though.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Cool on the two kills. You're right blood show does show up well on those arrows. Have a picture of an arrow with out blood? the whole arrow is a pink color?

Where are you hunting in Texas? I have hunted an hour west of San Antonio, different country than what I'm used to hunting but still cool to see and experiance.

Good luck to you both when Michel arrives.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:yep, best of luck to Michel- I've got confidence hn will help him get the job done! 8-)

Me too!!! Congratulation Deb! Like I told you in an other place, "When you hit it is not 1/2"!!!!

And 1 million thanks for your friendship Deb!!!

Thanks also to all of you for your encouragement!
I have a lot of change to have such kind of friends!!!
;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”