They are pounding my waterhole !

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

They are pounding my waterhole !

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 am

I don't know about where you guys are located, but its been really dry by me for the past few weeks, & the deer are just pounding my waterhole.. They literally drank 45 gal in a week & a half... I sat over it last Friday & nothing showed up until dark.. Something came in & sort of hung up 50 yards out, I hope it wasn't a big boy.. nyway, I got down & walked out.. I heard the deer run about 20 yards, but then just stopped... so not sure what it was, but I think it was coming to get a drink for sure.. I think I will not try to hunt it again until pre-rut, maybe last weekend of October...

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: They are pounding my waterhole !

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 am

I checked my little water holes this weekend. The were dry! they got 5 inches of rain 2 weeks ago, so I would assume they were full after that. It has been unseasonably warm, the last few days. I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:46 am

Sounds like a good plan, db's- have you got any pics of your waterhole?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Sounds like a good plan, db's- have you got any pics of your waterhole?

I don't have any pics yet, maybe later.... but I think I used the same thing Squirrel used ( in the scouting threads I believe), I just used a 55gal plastic barrel, which I cut in two, lengthwise... I dug a little ground out, so they sit down into the ground a ways.. I also put some sticks and crap on one side of it so they have to use the other side of it, which will give me a better shot angle on the deer...
I filled them up last night and noticed some really nice wide tracks there, one was 4 fingers, so I'm hoping he shows up about Halloween weekend. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”