Mobile or stand rotation?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Are you more Mobile? or rotational?

Mobile
58%
Rotational
13%
50/50
29%

Total votes: 279
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Mobile or stand rotation?

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 pm

moog5050 wrote:So, following up on this poll: Does it make sense to try to hunt small parcels mobile? It seems like a quick way to burn things out when you have 3-4 parcels of 40 acres or less. Not that I don't move if intel dictates, but we tend to try to work outside in as the season progresses, rotating not only stands but parcels. I am curious if others would walk the property looking for sign to sit even under these circumstances. If we know a buck bed, we will actually use a preset to take advantage.

For me, looking for fresh sign in season doesn't mean stomping the whole property down looking for fresh sign. It's a spot check, like Dan refers to in his video's. Let's say you know where the best bedding is on your 40 acre parcel from your winter or spring scouting. You would check the edge of a crop field, creek crossing, some other food source, etc. in the vicinity of this bedding area mid day or on your way in to hunt. If you don't find fresh or somewhat fresh buck sign than chances are he isn't using that bedding area at that time. If you do find fresh buck sign, you know he's been bedding there.

It isn't full proof. He may not be there that day. He may not come out the exact way you expected. But it's an educated guess from putting together the puzzle pieces.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:32 am

I'll admit, I hunt preset stands more than being mobil. Like I said earlier in this thread, my buddy that owns the land I hunt isn't a huge proponent of hang and hunt type situations. I still do it but not the majority of time.

What I have learned from hunting the land I hunt is that preset stands aren't as great as being completely mobil BUT the more options you have the better. 5 years ago I had 5 stands to chose from and would still see a few mature bucks but not that many. This year we have 27 preset stands for various situations. With this many stands and going mobil, we rarely hunt a stand more than twice and the ones we do hunt more than twice have great entrance and exits. We hunted one stand more than twice last year and as luck would have it, my buddy shot a nice 140" at 15 yards. That was an exception and not the rule.

I think if you hunt preset stands, the best bet it to have as many as possible. Every year we add more stands, the more mature bucks we see.

I do have a couple ridges that we haven't put preset stands on and I save these for my LW with ideal situations. Screwed up last year on a real nice mature 9 point at one of these spots connecting two bedding areas. With the right wind, I'll be back there for a sit this year.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 am

I like to stay mobile as often as I can be. On public, I like to pick areas to hunt certain winds, then the first time in I will pick a tree. Second time I go in there I may have a better tree because of intel from the first sit.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Mostly mobile. I may hunt a stand on back to back days but I have no Preset stands at this point

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:05 am

dan wrote:I use the outside in approach with stands that are mostly observation... Most peoples definition of "outside in" to me would be slapping the buck across the face and yelling game on... I want to catch them by complete and utter surprise. Not have them smell me getting closer every day.

Dan, whitetail and Wlog, your thoughts are much appreciated. Generally the approach has been to use stands early that have great access and only when wind is blowing out of the property (usually over fields) so as to not burn any of the property. I should note that these parcels are all surrounded by Ag. You have all given me some things to think about though. Perhaps we should be making some more aggressive early moves. One property is a serious rut draw (marsh surround by Ag, with lots of doe bedding). That one we tend to hold off until the rut and then go in more aggressive.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:01 am

I tend to do both. I do have certain trees, in certain areas, that I fully expect to hunt every single year unless things radically change. They are consistent producers and usually are stands where I can access/exit totally undetected. You don't find these great spots very often but when I do I hunt them once or twice a year - every year. One spot has creek access. The creek drops down about 12 foot to waterline - it is usually waist deep and there are no walkable banks. I can use this creek and no deer is going to smell my approach/exit. At the spot where I exit the creek to my stand there is a very small section of flat dry ground. I get out of my waders and get into my saddle and get everything ready here. To get to my tree, I have dug steps into the bank and have a rope tied to a tree. Once I get on top, it is literally 30 yards to my stand. This is located on a great funnel in deep cover and the bucks cruise this area all day long during the rut. I have never hunted this stand without seeing multiple bucks. I am very careful to wait for the exact wind I need and do to the lay of the land the wind takes my scent right down the creek. I am up 20 foot and I have never once been busted by a deer here.

I have not even entered this area yet this year because I am waiting until Oct 31st and the right wind. When those line up I will be suddenly sick that day and will miss work...... I will be in that stand from daylight to night and I know right now I will see many deer and more then likely one of my three target bucks in this area (provided they have not died, been hit by a car, etc...)

I have never seen another person in this area probably because its a two mile hike with waders and the last 1/4 mile is waste deep in snake infested water. The access from the far side is a no go/private property of a well known local anti-hunter (which makes it all the more sweet).

Having said that 75% of the time it is a new tree I found during post season scouting trips and set up shooting lanes. I have probably 300+ sites that I keep in an inventory excel document that I can hunt from and have hunted from over the last couple decades. I will never hit them all - but I scout and if I find sign I have preset locations or with my mobile saddle set up I can be in a new tree in 30 minutes usually.

But man, those few spots that are consistent killers are so hard to not hunt every year... at least one or two sits.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 am

mobile - don't like to hunt the same spot more than once - even if it means setting up between 50 and 100 yards from the original spot if the area holds very good sign and that I know a buck is there
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:40 pm

deereload wrote:mobile - don't like to hunt the same spot more than once - even if it means setting up between 50 and 100 yards from the original spot if the area holds very good sign and that I know a buck is there

Interesting...what constitutes hunting a new or different stand such that an area doesn't get burned out? 100 yards away? Half mile? Or does it need to be such that you are Hunting a different group of deer entirely?
And how long between sits to have an area be fresh again? Does it matter if you were noisy and sweaty or stealthy with Scent blowing to an undetectable area?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:22 pm

I hunt public land only and mobile is the only way to hunt (must pack stand in and out on each trip).
braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:53 am

I voted mobile. For many of the reasons already stated, I always feel better with a fresh location. The element of surprise can not be overstated!
A never ending quest for knowledge and absorption of nature through hunting.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 am

100% mobile.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 am

I've gone to 99% mobile, even on our private. I have one or two stands I'll strategically hang in some ruts spots that I plan to hunt two or three times, but often end up with it just being the once then I have to go pull them down after the season anyways.
Peter

Unread postby Peter » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:25 am

What a great discussion. This thread has changed my hunting strategy for gun season this year--going to use what I know about the guys who hunt the same spots every year to plan when I go. Hope to catch the smart deer avoiding the predictable hunters.

Awesome stuff guys. I'm 100% mobile.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Both couple locons andground blinds preset in rate/migration spots and mobile the rest of the time. I've done a lot more blind hunts than normal now that I have the lone wolf

nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm

I used to exclusively sit 2 or 3 pre sets. I have recently become mobile and love it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”