200+ Door County Giant

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
160classbuck

200+ Door County Giant

Unread postby 160classbuck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:38 am

From Green Bay Press Gazzette

Outdoors column: Giant nontypical buck talk of the town
By Kevin Naze • Columnist • October 2, 2010

Brad Wiesner of rural Sturgeon Bay used years of seeing how deer react to pressure to put himself in position to arrow what may be the highest-scoring whitetail buck ever taken on the Door-Kewaunee County Peninsula.

Wiesner owed a big thank you to other members of his seven-person hunting party, including brother Bryan who suggested the small group walk of a suspected giant buck's bedding area.

The first two drives — quiet sneaks or gentle nudges would be a better way to describe them — produced a 9-pointer for Jason Krueger and a 5-pointer for Josh Petersilka. Both bucks were standing still when arrowed.

The two successful archers then walked the third and final area, moving what would turn out to a huge nontypical whitetail practically into Brad's lap. He shot the buck on the move at a distance he estimated at no more than 10 to 12 feet after getting tipped off that it was coming by hearing it "tink" a barbed wire fence as it was sneaking through the pothole.

By the time he turned, the buck — a 21-pointer that one veteran taxidermist green-scored at more than 208 inches of antler — came out of the cedars about 40 to 50 yards away and was on the move.

Wiesner was using a bow his father, Bill "Bear Crazy" Wiesner markets — the Full Force Archery Griz, set at 70 pounds, along with an Easton carbon arrow tipped with a Muzzy 3-blade broadhead.

There was no need to track or even look for blood: all the standers were able to watch the buck on his death run through a hay field, then a soybean field.

The mainframe 5x5 with 11 abnormal or "nontypical" points was estimated at about 180 pounds dressed weight. Both soybeans and corn were in its stomach.

In the days that followed, the Wiesners learned some area farmers had seen the deer on several occasions in summer; one hunter had a trail camera photo; another, sheds from a past year. Based on observations, it appeared the giant had a home range of about four miles between Algoma and Sturgeon Bay, not that far in from Lake Michigan.

"It was my day, there's absolutely no doubt about it," Wiesner said. "But there's also a reason we got three bucks that day. It's knowing where the escape routes are and where to put guys when the wind is a certain way."
~4108728.JPG

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Re: 200+ Door County Giant

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:45 am

Incredible deer and what a strange bowhunting strategy... Deer Drives?
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:56 am

Deer drives are extremely effective even with bows.
Great looking buck!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 am

They use this strategy in river bottoms. I think there are a few guys that hunt the milk river in montana for deer this way.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 am

Great buck congrats to the hunter on doing his homework and knowing the escape routes of the deer. 8-)
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:41 am

Deer drives that way are fun, sometimes we will set up and hunt the morning, then about 10am have someone take a walk upwind of the bedding and nudge some deer our way. Or other times other hunters just do it for us.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 am

Wow great buck and interesting story. I really like soft bumping deer and hunting their escape routes when I have some company and the deer aren't moving on their own. It has never produced a big buck for me but it can be very effective. What you reall need is 2-3 guys who know what they are doing vs 12 or 15 hunters pounding the ground.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 am

Holy balls :shock: thats awesome. I'm not a big fan of archery drives but if done properly they can produce results, obviously.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 am

headgear wrote:Wow great buck and interesting story. I really like soft bumping deer and hunting their escape routes when I have some company and the deer aren't moving on their own. It has never produced a big buck for me but it can be very effective. What you reall need is 2-3 guys who know what they are doing vs 12 or 15 hunters pounding the ground.

That is the key. Small group with knowledge. We kill a bunch of does every December this way.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:26 am

Thats great!! CONGRATS to the hunter!!
onebuck

Unread postby onebuck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:46 am

Wow, I grew up in Stugeon Bay. I know the genes and food are good up there, I aged deer with the DNR one year and the average 1.5 year old buck was 6-8 points already. Even saw a 1.5 year old ten. That is a big boy, yeah driving is a little different strategy. I don't hear much about the bucks up there lately, I guess they still get big in those cedar swamps.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:03 pm

What a hog!!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:12 pm

There are rumors flying around about this deer.I'm sure like most big bucks that are killed people will get jealous and spread rumors!! The one I have heard was there could be a trespassing violation involved. I just hope he did it legally! Just sayin!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Slow nodges with a couple guys are deadly when used with the right guys
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Awesome buck!!
Glad to see hunters in Wi are putting down some monster bucks again this year. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”