Late Season Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Late Season Tactics

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Dan, you mentioned looking for tracks going into a bedding area and not coming out. when you see this, where are you setting up on this buck? are you saying buy seeing the tracks you know he is currently in the bed, and then you set up in a pre determined tree you found while scouting?

Yes... I usually know from previous scouting how he will exit. Otherwise, I take a guess and usually ends up being the trail he went in on. They do tend to go into a bed on a certain wind direction but tha circling seems to be closer to the bed then where I would set up bate season

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 am

dan wrote:The down side is the shorter days, holiday interference, the cold, lack of cover, and burnt out hunter syndrome.

You forgot about having to work since you just took the whole rut off!!!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
dan wrote:The down side is the shorter days, holiday interference, the cold, lack of cover, and burnt out hunter syndrome.

You forgot about having to work since you just took the whole rut off!!!

Not for me....... we are having a 2 week Christmas shutdown. Best gift I have ever received! :dance:
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

Me 2 Dewey cant wait.Praying for snow and cold that is the ticket last year was a bust with the warm weather we had.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:45 am

G3s wrote:Late season is probably my favorite time of the year to hunt. The mature bucks around here are on red alert after a long gun season, but once they arent interested in the does I go back to hunting bedding areas. I try to get as close as I can without getting busted. A lot of the time the deer will not hit the feed fields until dark or shortly after. It seems that preferred bedding areas stay very consistent this time of year because they have adapted to the hunting pressure and feel safe where they have been holed up for the past few weeks. I have had better luck hunting preferred water sources than I have preferred food sources. It seems I can usually count on seeing deer mid days at secluded water areas

Can you expand a little more about preferred water sources? How to locate them, what you're looking for? How you set up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm

DropTyne wrote:
G3s wrote:Late season is probably my favorite time of the year to hunt. The mature bucks around here are on red alert after a long gun season, but once they arent interested in the does I go back to hunting bedding areas. I try to get as close as I can without getting busted. A lot of the time the deer will not hit the feed fields until dark or shortly after. It seems that preferred bedding areas stay very consistent this time of year because they have adapted to the hunting pressure and feel safe where they have been holed up for the past few weeks. I have had better luck hunting preferred water sources than I have preferred food sources. It seems I can usually count on seeing deer mid days at secluded water areas

Can you expand a little more about preferred water sources? How to locate them, what you're looking for? How you set up.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I find and set up preferred water just like I do food. I find the areas that contain the most sign, large tracks, heavy trails. I look for topography that will dictate movement if available (steep cliffs/hills/thick cover) Basically the exact same idea behind finding the food they want. I usually set up a little bit higher in the locales to be able to use thermals and height to cover my stand from detection. Not sure of your area but we have water literally everywhere and with the right scouting trip it doesnt take to long to find the heaviest watering area. I will have to do some photo journals on this when I make my next trip. If I had to pick one spot on a map for looking at water sources, I would find a deep bend in a creek of river and start there. I have had a lot of success looking for feeder creeks as well. When I find a feeder creek flowing into a river I follow it to the head and look there. Generally I find some great looking cover right at the source of the creek be it an artisan well or simply where the creek comes out of the ground. It has been a great spot to find beds, heavy trails, rubs, ect. I cant explain why as yet..I have not figured that part out. Maybe it is the cover associated with the wet soil, maybe it is a mineral rich soil from the spring, not sure...Hope to figure that part out in the near future.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”