PM set-up bedding/movement generalities

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
virginiashadow
500 Club

PM set-up bedding/movement generalities

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Based on the wind, do you guys see any general movement patterns/tendencies of bucks as they rise from their beds in the afternoon? I am attaching a general bedding area pic with the prevailing wind. In the below example, would you expect the buck to rise from his bed and move northwest with a sort of a crosswind, or move to the southwest with the wind in his face? I am just wondering if you all have witnessed bucks tending to favor one method of travel over another as they rise from their beds and begin to move/stage right before dark.

I am just trying to add some more knowledge to my . Thanks guys.

Brett

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: PM set-up bedding/movement generalities

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Fantastic Question...One I have pondered and have had trouble with a lot lately. I think they move at more of a crosswind, but overall they will go out in any wind if they have a specific destination in mind. Just my observations but I'm still struggling to figure this aspect out myself.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I'd also add that bucks tend to be naturally lazy and that a lot of times regardless of wind direction they will take the easiest and less pressured path more often than naught. Add some pressure and they will switch it up until they get into another routine.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 pm

One of the reasons why I ask this question is because I hunt on a large public military base. They open and close hunting areas at a minutes notice. So sometimes I will get down to the base to reserve a hunting pass and an area that I was planning on hunting based on the wind and other factors is closed unexpectedly. I have to adapt and sometimes have to enter spots I have not scouted, and make the best of the situation. I literally take a topo map, take the wind into account, hunting pressure, and other factors and just head in and set-up. Knowing generalities in terms of bedding/movement helps turn the odds in my favor over the course of a season or two on those days that I am forced to hunt out of my element. Thanks all.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I think in hilltop beds they will most likely follow that contour line a ways before heading up to the top of the ridge or down it. Depending on time of year, you might consider food sources, doe bedding areas, etc when trying to figure out which way he will leave.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:14 pm

This really might not answer your question,but 4 of the biggest bucks I,ve had walk past me with the wind coming staight up their back.Not something you would expect but ,those all occured in Cattail Marshes where the bucks feel more secure walking with the wind even at their back.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:43 am

With such a small topo it's hard to get a complete picture, but it looks like he's bedded close to a stream, just below him to the E. I would think that bedded that close to a stream, he would drop down to the stream along with the evening thermals for a drink before heading to whichever food source is hot, close to dark. At that point the wind direction wouldn't matter as much as where the food is, 'cause he's moving under the cover of darkness.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 am

I would bet he will head in the direction of feed regardless of wind.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:14 am

http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2104

I had a very similar question awhile back Virginia..... check out some of the answers I got.... Sounds like wind is not a real big factor when they are going to their food sources...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:10 am

Thank you guys for all of your comments. Dreaming, thanks, I will check out the thread now. I think a buck is bedded on one of two tight points given tonights wind. I am hunting the area tonight. From what I remember from scouting there was a smll clear cut/burn area (maybe 3-5 years old) that seemed to have a ton of browse( within 50 yards of one point and 150 yards from another, a major deer trail, and several community looking type scrapes. I am moving in this afternoon and have to decide where exactly I want to place my stand because I have to get CLOSE as my effective range with this recurve is about 18 yards.

Brett
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:05 am

Good luck on him, Brett!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:40 am

Good luck!! sounds like you have gotten some great advise, so I hope you can score. Keep us up to date with your success and or observations.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Well I went conservative tonight. Even though I had a good wind, I did not have good weather conditions to move in where I think the buck is generally bedded. I approached very cautiously because the weather was 80 degrees and no clouds in the sky. I stayed a good 150 yards away from where I think he beds. I found one rub that was 6 inches above my waistline. I found several more on the point I hunted. He just did not show up. I saw 5 turkey within 35 yards. I will not enter that area again unless it is drizzling, overcast, or there is a weather front coming in soon. I do not want to mess it up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”