scouting with bow during season

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Beauford

scouting with bow during season

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Sunday I had some time to go scout (walk around) some of Horicon Marsh. I got to the parking lot at 10.30 was not planing on hunting at all that day. Any ways as I was walking I saw a deer in front of me. I ran up cut down a trail with the wind in my face and ended up having the deer feeding at 7 yds broadside. After I stood up and watch it for 3 more minutes I took my walking stick and hit the weeds to scare it off. How many of you guys take your bow with you when planning on doing some hard walking. I did have two climbing sticks and my gps, just not my bow. Oh it was a small one good thing it was not a big old buck, I would have felt really stupid.

solocam88
500 Club

Re: scouting with bow during season

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 pm

If I go anywhere in the woods during the season I will always have my bow with me.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:35 pm

solocam88 wrote:If I go anywhere in the woods during the season I will always have my bow with me.

X2.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Beauford,
If you are walking around the northern Federal NWR part of the Horicon Marsh you better make sure you are carrying a bow because scouting is illegal there. Most people do not realize this. If you scouting without a bow in the southern state part of the marsh you are O.K.
I'm sure you are aware of this but I just wanted to make sure because I know a few people that were talked to by wardens for this. Seems like a stupid rule. :roll:

I always carry my bow anytime the season is open. You just never know when a huge buck will appear.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:00 am

Dewey I have never heard of that about the north side of the marsh. I know you can not step foot on the Federal Part except during hunting season. But I have never heard that you can not scout. Are sure about this cause I am under the impression it is closed area expect for hunting which does make it hard to scout.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 am

One time my dad and I hunted in the morning and then went back to the truck to drop off our bows so we could set up a stand on the edge of the property we were hunting. So we had to cut a few oak branched with leaves on them and then tossed them in a wind fall. Then we heard a noise and turned around to see a real nice buck jumping over the fence to see where the buck fight was. He was about 15 feet away and was looking to kick some , he stared us down and decided to let us go this time and just walked away. I sure wish I had my bow that time, just might have saved our lives if he was in a bad mood. :lol:
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:59 am

solocam88 wrote:If I go anywhere in the woods during the season I will always have my bow with me.

Same here
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:38 pm

i never really take my bow just because its more stuff to carry but last year during muzzleloader season i went to check a trail camera during midday and DIDNT take my gun..well long story short i had the buck of a lifetime step out at 80 yds chasing a doe that all i could do was watch for about 5 minutes...later that year he was shot ended up scoring 182"..i learned my lesson for now on..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Beauford wrote:Dewey I have never heard of that about the north side of the marsh. I know you can not step foot on the Federal Part except during hunting season. But I have never heard that you can not scout. Are sure about this cause I am under the impression it is closed area expect for hunting which does make it hard to scout.

Rules and Regulations

Access on the Refuge is restricted to an hour before to an hour after legal hunting hours.

In addition to the prohibited activities listed in the Wisconsin Hunting Regulations pamphlet, the following activities are also prohibited on the refuge:

•Overnight camping or parking
•Open fires
•Blocking access to gates with vehicles
•Use of horses
•Use of motorized vehicles or ATV's
•Baiting
•Construction of permanent blinds or damage to trees
•Leaving portable blinds overnight
•Use or possession of alcoholic beverages while hunting
•Target practice
•Toxic shot when hunting small game
•Shining
•Boats
•Scouting
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:34 am

also they have closed off the (nwr) federal part of the horicon marsh for late bow season too. i would suggest checking that its open if planning to do any late season hunting. that is the u.s. fish and game decision for it being closed. this is recently. i heard something about a lawsuit not sure what about but not positive on any facts. their was a small notice in the paper i guess someone told me and sure enough closed to late season hunting except the gun dec. herd control when i called.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:47 am

as for scouting im always hunting too during the season.always have bow with . i really like my bow sling, i think primos makes it. i may not setup a stand and sit but always will bring a bow. i normally only do this for rut. all my early season tactics are based on spring scouted bedding areas. but in the rut you got to be where the action is.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks with the rules, AH I quess I would have had to said I was lost not scouting.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for posting that about the fed being closed late season, last I checked it was open but they must have changed it. I was up on the fed last weekend scouting/hunting with bow in hand. So yes I do take my bow and often times a stand on my back and scout into a spot that looks promising and sit it.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

I try to have my bow with me. Last week I killed a mule deer at about 1130 while scouting.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:13 am

AC, your camo was the best too on that scouting trip!!!!!! Prime example that high dollar clothing doesn't always get you what you're after!!!!!! And It it's bed, no less!!!!!! You da man!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”