Feeding Buck ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Feeding Buck ?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 pm

I know where the buck I have as a target has been bedding lately. The deal is I seen him from the road just before dark on Sunday evening as he was just getting into the bean field. I drove away as he bounced back towards his bedding area. My plan was to get out of work early on Monday as it was the wind I needed for this buck to use that bed.So I leave work to come home and get ready to make my move and setup where I believe he was entering the field. In my process of getting ready I looked out the window to see a semi with a grain trailer attached :o . I knew what was coming next and I was right, the COMBINE :oops: to wipe out the beans the buck I'm after was eating in. So with all the beans in my area gone and no corn planted on the farm this year, I'm really interested to hear if all you BEAST'S believe he will keep bedding in the bedding area he was(with the right wind) before the beans were picked or not. How far will he travel from this bed to get to a desired food source? Where he is bedded the only pressure is from me and I have not had the right wind to hunt him in that bed when I know he is hanging out there. So pressure is not a problem for him in that bed. I just wished they would have left them beans 1 more day, so I could have seen if he would have shown himself on Monday when I was there ready for him. Sorry for the long post, but you all know the feeling. For now I will stay on the lookout for any sign of him lurking around.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Feeding Buck ?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:49 am

If the bedding area is undisturbed and weather conditions favor him being there, there's an excellent chance the buck will bed there. There's still plenty of other food sources available during his travels, especially at night... this aint February. No one can guarantee he hasn't relocated, but fresh sign on the perimeter of your hunting area may give him away.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:54 am

Also, if you have alfalfa or apples near by he could hit those first before he ventures out.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:45 am

Thanks for your input guys!! Anyone else want to chime in go ahead I would love to hear more stories about this situation and how mature bucks bed close to food source or maybe not bedding close to a food source.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”