piebald passion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

piebald passion

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am

I get fired up when I encounter a piebald, as in most of my hunting areas they are very rare. I know that some of you have come across more than your share while checking trailcams, scouting or hunting- while others live in areas where a sighting is something special.

Dan's white doe is spectacular, a once in a lifetime trophy. What have some of you witnessed out there, or gotten trailcam pics of, or even photographed yourself?

Here's a couple of my favorites I took pics of myself:

A wilderness doe:

An agricultural buck:

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: piebald passion

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:05 am

They aren't rare here in the counties I live and hunt in. We see quite a few of them every year. I have a doe, and a 1 1/2 yr old 6 pointer on my farm that are piebalds. There is a mature buck on my companies land that we watch all year, and many more all over these counties. One night on a buddies farm I seen a fawn and a 3 1/2 yr old buck that were piebalds. I have mounted two full body mount piebalds for friends. So here they aren't rare at all. I only seen a few growing up in the U.P. though.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 am

Beautiful Pics, Piebalds are cool! There was a full body mounted ten pointer from Franklin County Indiana at the Cincinnati Bass Pro a couple of years ago which is definitely the biggest Piebald I have ever seen.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:40 am

Pretty rare by our parts.....I know of a few that hang around the Boulder Juction area that locals have pictures of. These may even be albinos....can't remember.

What I have pictures of is a deer we called "socks". Saw her once from the treestand but to far to shoot. Never saw her again or anymore trail cam pictures.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:39 pm

I saw a really cool mature old doe two years ago in Northwest Indiana and was going to take her. It looked like she was wearing socks like the above photo but she had more white on her. Just as I was going to take the shot a stupid forkey ran her off. It was late December so I whacked him instead for my urban buck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Hodag Hunter mentioned Boulder Junction for Albino's......here is a video for everybody to watch. This is really cool!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... 0s22a3q81f
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 am

UPbowhunter wrote:They aren't rare here in the counties I live and hunt in. We see quite a few of them every year. So here they aren't rare at all. I only seen a few growing up in the U.P. though.

Those of you that have quite a few in your areas are fortunate. There are many hunters that have never seen a piebald or white phase deer in the wild. 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:02 am

I saw an all white doe about ten years ago, in Buffalo County. She was feeding in a field down below me about 100 yards away. They always have a couple running around in that area every year. That was when I was lucky enough to hunt out there.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
UPbowhunter wrote:They aren't rare here in the counties I live and hunt in. We see quite a few of them every year. So here they aren't rare at all. I only seen a few growing up in the U.P. though.

Those of you that have quite a few in your areas are fortunate. There are many hunters that have never seen a piebald or white phase deer in the wild. 8-)

I know guys who that have shot them, and wont again. They say its a curse and you will run with bad luck for years!
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 am

I just learned about a piebald doe in the area I hunt (rare) only problem is she is a city deer so its all developments and private land. I will probably make some inquiries about hunting access but I don't think I will have much luck getting permission.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:49 am

Never seen or heard of one being seen in my area. They are cool and I would love to see one in my area someday.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

UPbowhunter wrote:I know guys who that have shot them, and wont again. They say its a curse and you will run with bad luck for years!

Now this is interesting- a potential curse if you shoot a piebald! I've never heard that before, but could see how something like this could come about, with piebalds being rare and what not.
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 pm

There is a piebald buck where i hunt and i have seen it for two years now. The last pic i got it was a nice 10 point.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

eastwoodhunter wrote:There is a piebald buck where i hunt and i have seen it for two years now. The last pic i got it was a nice 10 point.

Pics! we want pics!

fellow Beasts who have quite a few in their hunting areas may not realize just how rare they are, overall, in the rest of the whitetail's range. If you have pics, we would love to see them! 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

I have only ever seen one in the wild that was 19 years ago. 10 point buck. Don't know what ever became of him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”