the lost 40

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Chooch

the lost 40

Unread postby Chooch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:24 pm

The 'lost 40' acres my uncle inherited from his father finally showed some promise today. I had what I thought to be a year and a half old buck at about 32 yards. Even drew back and had my sights locked in but didn't let it fly. Sure enough, as his head clears some brush and I get a better glimpse of his body, I realize he is no 1.5... Spread to the ear tips and a couple of tall tines was all I could make out, sporting a hefty body on him as well... not sure if he was 2 or 3 but needless to say, I never saw him again.

It's been a couple years since I put some meat in the freezer, mostly because I've been trying to hunt mature bucks that either aren't there or outwit me... I figure its time to lower my standards a bit and take something I'm happy with. The downside to this is understanding that taking a nice 2.5 year old is taking an animal that hasn't reached full potential, and has a lot of it. Then again, it's a choice... and I need to get my hands on some bone!! I don't think it will be long, my heart won't stop pumping... ahhh deer season. :mrgreen:

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: the lost 40

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Chooch wrote:and take something I'm happy with.

definitely, the composition of a trophy is a relative matter to each of us. With the Mich. season just getting underway, and your close encounter already under your belt, it looks to me as if you are off and running- best of luck. 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: the lost 40

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Do what makes you happy and keeps you hunting. Everyone has a different view about what to shoot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”