First shot with recurve=swing and a miss

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
virginiashadow
500 Club

First shot with recurve=swing and a miss

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I had a plan all mapped out to hunt a certain place today based on the wind. I was going buck hunting. Well I show up to get on the location and it was shut down. I hunt a military base where things change quickly so you just have to adapt. So I quickly thought of a place and reserved the spot. I marched in a good 1000 yards and set up on a good pinch point around 230pm. The wind was blowing like a demon for hours, but started to settle down around 530pm.

I picked out a tree that only allowed me to get 12 feet or so high. It was the best tree for the deer movement I predicted would happen come prime deer movement time. I had never hunted this place before but I thought the deer would come from a little trail on a tight 35 yard wide point. Sure enough at 6pm three doe ran past me at 25 yards, well out of my range with the recurve. They milled around at 25 yards downwind of me for a few minutes then decided to come back down and feed in the zone I had predicted. The lead doe caught my scent and moved in to investigate. She came down the hill and her and I literally went eye to eye at 10 yards. It was a real pain trying to figure out when to draw with one doe locked on me, while two other doe stood within 15 yards! I drew and released with good solid form as she stood tensed to the max, eyes locked on mine. The arrow looked perfect left to right but went right over top of her. I at first thought I hit her but that was not the case. A couple of things came to mind as I drove home tonight. I should have aimed lower because she was tense, but I had to hold a little high to get over some limbs. Therein was the cause of my miss. Lesson learned for future hunts.

I felt like a little kid looking to kill my first deer today as I shot that recurve. I was shaken and my god that is why I decided to give trad hunting a shot! I am hooked! The miss is a little hard to stomach but it was a learning experience.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: First shot with recurve=swing and a miss

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:42 pm

virginiashadow wrote:I felt like a little kid looking to kill my first deer today as I shot that recurve. I was shaken and my god that is why I decided to give trad hunting a shot!

That's what its about, vs- a tremendous experience and a lesson learned to boot. 8-)
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Sounds like you picked Virginia as your spot rather than a single hair. Been there many times myself having killed WI and MN many times over. LOL :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Keep at it the reward will be GREAT!!
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:26 pm

She probably jumped the string. A recurve is slow and an an alert deer can get out of the way of that arrow. Mine shoots about 180 fps. Dont think your shot was bad, she probably ducked. Trad guys say to shoot at the bottom third of the body in case they duck. Keep it up, my first recurve kill was really cool. If that deer was not on alert you would have got her.
Basinboy

Unread postby Basinboy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:12 am

Dor wrote:Sounds like you picked Virginia as your spot rather than a single hair. Been there many times myself having killed WI and MN many times over. LOL :mrgreen:

My thoughts exactly since that is what happened to me on the first few I shot at. :shock:
Pick a hair!
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:48 am

The reward will be worth the sacrifice, once you score!! Keep at it, it will pay off...anything taken with a recirve is a trophy!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks guys. I aimed big because that dang doe locked eyes with me like Medusa! As she looked at me I drew and released clean. The shot sailed right over top of the sweet spot, but high. Ughhhh.

I will be back at it Friday. I was hurting a bit mentally last night since I have practiced so hard to become proficient with the recurve. I had my shot and I blew it. But this is the game I chose when I became hooked on trad hunting.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:38 am

Hang in there buddy, your hard work will pay off sooner or later. The recurve will make it even sweeter, when you hit paydirt.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 am

Clean miss is better than a bad hit with no recovery. Lesson learned you can move on as a better hunter. The advice to "pick a hair" is something we all need to have drilled into our souls! Excellent advice. Thanks for sharing your story virginiashadow!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:31 am

Trad guys say to shoot at the bottom third of the body in case they duck.
Not I or the traditional bowhunters I hunt with. Some people say do this but It's not needed. Traditional bows are much quieter then that of a compound so them jumping the string Is far less likely to happen. Does It happen, you bet. Not very often In my opinion though. Shooting at a tensed up deer, anything Is possible then. In the 15 years Brett that I've hunted strictly with a recurve only once did I possibly have a doe duck my arrow. To be honest I think I shot high but still not sure exactly what happened.

It seems with people when they shoot over the back the good old words "she/he ducked my arrow" come flying out. User error I bet Is the most common reason. Don't change a thing Brett, keep doing what your doing. What happened with your deer Is exactly what does happen with traditional bowhunters. It's so easy to loose your focus. You can't get away with anything wrong shooting a traditional bow. Compounds have a much greater room for error. Enjoy your season Brett, I promise It will happen!! You know It as well. Don't be ashamed of what happened.

Sounds like you picked Virginia as your spot rather than a single hair. Been there many times myself having killed WI and MN many times over. LOL :mrgreen:
This has got to be the funniest thing I've read In years!!! Good stuff Dor!!! And so so true!!! :mrgreen:
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:23 am

I am an honest person. I believe I just did not focus hard enough and shot high. It was like my spidey senses were going off in all directions, instead of just one direction. lol. I went down this same road when I first picked up my compound bow. The entire game changed. The same can be said from moving to the trad bow. The one thing that has not changed and is actually improving is my stand placement. That fact alone will continue to allow me to get on deer. I will have another shot soon enough. Thanks Steve! I told you before, you are one of the reasons why I switched over to the trad game, it just felt right to ME.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”