shooter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mike_mc

shooter

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Saw a shooter this evening walking into the northeast wind. What are the chances of him taking the same trail tomorrow with a southwest wind? 3.5 or 4.5 year old public buck.

mike_mc

Re: shooter

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Picked out a spot on the aerial of a public marsh that I had never scouted for my hunt this evening. It was a large oak woods with marsh around it. Had a northeast wind. I was expecting the deer to come from the east or the south. Around 6:00 3 doe/fawn and a little buck came from the north walking along the west edge of the woods, doe caught me when I binoc them and took off. 10 minutes till close a 140 class 10 point came from the south and walked the west edge about 60 yards away. I'm guessing he didn't smell me because there was no wind. He also crossed my trail but it didn't seem to bother him.

Tomorrow wunderground says southwest wind. What are the chances he would walk with the wind a his back? Or should I wait till the next northeast? thanks.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:21 pm

He must feel safe walking that area with a N/W wind. Me personally I would wait for the wind to come from the N/W again and setup on the trail you seen him on. Just my .02
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 pm

It would be determined by the bed... If he came from a bed that he only uses for a specific wind, he likely won't come thru till he beds there again ( due to replication of the same wind ) If its a bed he uses for multiple winds he will likely walk out again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”