Recovery Question???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Troutking

Recovery Question???

Unread postby Troutking » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm

I went to a new place tonight to hunt on public land. First hunt of the year. It was a deep cut that I found on a topo of the area. About 45 minutes before dark I shot a doe at 25 yards. At first I thought I smoked her but after she bound off she stopped about 70 yards out and blew at me. Once I inpected my arrow which was a pass through I found very little blood, just a few specks or drops of pinkish blood. The rest of the arrow was covered in greasy fat and some hair. The arrow doesn't stink. From the looks of the arrow and her reaction, I presume I shot her way low, just more than a haircut and back. I didn't get a good look at her walking after the shot but I don't believe she was behaving like a gut shot deer. Any advice is appreciated. I am going after her in the morning, although I don't feel my chances are good.

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Recovery Question???

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 am

Sounds like a flesh wound. If she didn't hump up, you probably didn't get the guts. What color was the hair? White would suggest a low belly hit, which from what you describe seems to be likley. Good luck.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 am

Sounds like a low brisket shot to me, she is probably fine.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks guys, I didn't find her this morning but honestly, I didn't expect to. Unfortunate that I put a bad shot on her. Hopefully she is fine. I hope I don't miss a chip shot like that again.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”