Marsh Instincts - Going In Blind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
headgear
500 Club

Marsh Instincts - Going In Blind?

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 am

Ok so here is my delema, I did my offseason scouting and found some great spots, but since it was my first beast like scout I don't have a ton of locations, I also have a couple of youngin's at home that keep me very busy. The weather man is forcasting some not so great wind for my setups this weekend.

So my question is, has anyone ever gone in blind and scored on a nice buck or found a buck blindly picking bedding areas from an aerial photo? To start I know this might not be the best plan but I found two overlooked areas that are just screaming big buck bedding area too me. Also any tips for this kind of hunt?

I know I might get out there and the buck isn't there, or the buck could easily be bedding right where I plan on hunting and he is going to bust me but I figure its better to give it a shot on a new area instead of messing up another spot with the wrong wind.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Marsh Instincts - Going In Blind?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 am

Well it has definitely been done and can be done by aerial and topo. However, timing is everything if you really think this area could be hot. I would not recommend anything but the perfect wind and the perfect scenario for hunting blind based on mapping information. Like Dan said in the Marsh Bucks videos and others this is usually a one shot deal. Once they smell you have been in there....game over. Good luck and keep us posted.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am

Well I don't know that I have hot sign, or I won't know for sure until I get in close. What I do know is the area holds a couple of good bucks judging by tracks and I am making my best guess. The other thing I know is this is the most difficult area to access/hunt without being busted so if I can pull it off it might just work. Either way it will be interesting, follow up scouting this winter/spring is a must.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:56 pm

I say go for it if the wind is right. What do you have to lose, it's not like it's a spot you previously had in your . Go in with the stand on your back and if you see the hot sign(big tracks, rubs, or scrapes,ect.) where he is heading into what looks like the bedding area, set up. Be quiet about it, and go for it. Better idea then messing one of your spots up with the wrong wind imo. And you'll learn something about a new spot in the process. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:22 am

A lot of my marsh bucks have come from blind set ups, or aerial photo/topo scouting... I would not be to hung up on "hot sign"
Although some of the younger bucks in the 2 1/2c to 3 1/2 age leave a lot of sign, big mature bucks often bed alone and allow no other bucks to bed there, and leave very little sign.
Go for broke and get as close as you can. If you fail killing, you still win by learning a little more about that spot and why you failed. Next spring jump in the beds and learn the area fully. This year make an educated guess. Post the topo / aerial if you want and maybe we can give you a a tip or two...
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:55 am

dan wrote:A lot of my marsh bucks have come from blind set ups, or aerial photo/topo scouting... I would not be to hung up on "hot sign"
Although some of the younger bucks in the 2 1/2c to 3 1/2 age leave a lot of sign, big mature bucks often bed alone and allow no other bucks to bed there, and leave very little sign.
Go for broke and get as close as you can. If you fail killing, you still win by learning a little more about that spot and why you failed. Next spring jump in the beds and learn the area fully. This year make an educated guess. Post the topo / aerial if you want and maybe we can give you a a tip or two...
This is really cool advice. I do alot of my hunting this way also and have had some great hunts. After while it seems you can do just as good by hunting a spot you haven't hunted if you get to know what cover the deer in the area are using for their beds. from aerials you can see these spots and make a pretty good guess of where the deer will travel to and know where to set up.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 am

I agree, the more you hunt "blind" the better you get at being able to predict exactly where the bucks will be bedded...
I do a lot of hunts where I just throw the stand and sticks on my back and go scouting and set up on the sign right when and where I find it and have had good success at that...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:13 am

The first time you go into an area and set up is your best chance to take a buck. I rarely hunt the same spot twice in a season. As long as the wind is in your favor I say go for it.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:37 am

I had an instance just a few days ago where I went in and set up based off of an arial photo because the wind wasn't good for my other spots. I went in and set up off a point of trees which looked like it may have good bedding off of it. I wound up having 5 does come in and one 2 1/2 year old 10 point that got a free pass. That was my best outing so far this season. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 am

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Went in blind and didn't see a thing but it was an educational experience. I did find some beds on the way in so I might have bumped a deer or two out on my way in. I think I found a great spot for the future, I am going to comb this area in the off season and maybe even hit it again just before the rut.

I've also found a few other spots I am going to try going in blind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”