Gusty wind huntng adjustments

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Gusty wind huntng adjustments

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I am planning on heading to hill country in Western WI, today for a weekend of hunting. Just wondering what adjustments I should make with very gusty winds, they are predicting. Do deer stick to their traditional beds 1/3 from the top, on the leeward side, or do the shift to more protected areas? Also, where will the majority of evening activity, will they feel more comfortable in lower protected areas? Just wondering what suggestions anyone might have.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Gusty wind huntng adjustments

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't know, but I am replying as a bump because this will be some useful info.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:55 am

Gusty winds could make for some great corn field stalking if there is some corn standing. If you have a partner, this can be a very good way to hunt the high winds. And you won't have to worry if the tree is shaking too much for comfort!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 am

Underground weather says the winds should drop off a little bit after 4 p.m. I hope they are right!! I will also be hunting western WI. and want to hit a big buck area on top of the bluff, but wonder if I should leave it alone for a day with a little less wind. Good luck to you!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:00 am

Bedding should be in the traditional areas but bed elevation might lower slightly. I would hunt the hill side rather than the top if the wind is to continue into the night. Deer should follow the elevation line along the ridge below the wind. They may move late though, so I would probably not burn a good spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”