Orange bugs on milkweed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

Orange bugs on milkweed?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 am

What are these bugs? Why are they here?

Some milkweeds are ready to go!

dreaming bucks

Re: Orange bugs on milkweed?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 am

I don't know, I had the same thing on mine before I picked them..
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 am

Milkweed Bug Information

Phylum, Arthropoda; Class, Insecta; Order, Hemiptera

Identifying Features

Appearance (Morphology)

* Milkweed bugs are colored orange (or orange-red) and black.
* They have a long proboscis which they use to pierce the seed and inject salivary enzymes used to digest their food.
* Legs are delicate.
* Adult milkweed bugs have full grown wings which cover the abdomen.

Adult Males and Females
On the underside of the abdomen, the female has one black strip and two black dots. The male has two thick black strips. Adults mate end to end. They may stay attached for 30 minutes or more.

Immatures (different stages)
Milkweed bugs are hemimetabolous insects, i.e. they have incomplete metamorphosis. Therefore the nymphs (immatures) look like the adults except that they do not have full wings and their color pattern is different. Black wing pads appear early in development. Nymphs have bright red abdomens. Milkweed bugs usually molt 5 times (they have 5 nymphal instars before becoming an adult). Eggs take about 1 week to hatch and a month to become adults at room temperature (75°F). Development of milkweed bug is: emergence - (1st instar) - first molt - (2nd instar) - second molt - (3rd instar) - third molt - (4th instar) - 4th molt - (5th instar) - 5th molt (adult).

Natural History

Food
Seeds and tissue of the milkweed plant (Asclepias spp.). In captivity, the bugs feed on shelled sunflower seeds.

Habitat
Milkweed bugs are usually found in small groups on milkweed plants, often on the underside of the leaves. Milkweed plants sometimes fill entire fields in good years, but usually are found along roadways. The plant produces a milky white sap when a leaf is removed. These plants are large (3-4 feet high) with sprays of small white flowers in the summer. In the fall, seed pods develop which are 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. When the seeds ripen the seed pods open up releasing the seeds which float on fluffy white parasols. Milkweed bugs can be found on seed pods piercing the wall of the pod to feed on seeds.

Predators
Milkweed bugs have few predators because they concentrate in their bodies bad tasting compounds found in the sap of milkweed plants. The bugs use the bright coloration to advertise their bad taste. Inexperienced birds that taste their first milkweed bug are unlikely to try to eat another orange and black insect! Some insects that do not taste bad use similar color patterns to fool birds. These are known as mimics.

Interesting Behaviors
Milkweed bugs often gather in groups on the milkweed plant. This gregarious behavior probably enhances their warning coloration. In the container you may see groups of bugs forming at night. During the day they are usually found feeding on seeds or walking around the container. Sometimes groups form on the side of the container away from the seeds when some of the bugs are molting.

Impact on the Ecosystem

Positive
Milkweed bugs are one of a small group of insects that have the ability to tolerate the toxic compounds in the milkweed plant. They are therefore important in regulating populations of this plant.

Negative
None, unless you are trying to raise milkweed plants!

Collecting Live Insects

Where to find
Milkweed bugs are found on milkweed plants. Look for clusters of brightly colored insects on seed pods, leaves or blossoms. Milkweed bugs can be purchased from: Carolina Biological Supply Company, Connecticut Valley Biological Supply Co., Inc., and Science Kit and Boreal Laboratories.

How to collect
Use old pill bottles or small containers to gather the nymphs and adults. Hold the container below the insect and tap it into the container or use your fingers to gently pluck later instar bugs off the plant. Use an aspirator to gather small nymphs.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks for the info IH!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:32 am

These damn bugs are all over my milkweed plants in my yard. Maybe that's why they're dying. Next year I'm getting some insecticide.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:38 am

Interesting....have not seen those before.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:53 am

I'm gonna guess you found those in a nice funnel between doe beds and buck beds :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 am

muddy wrote:These damn bugs are all over my milkweed plants in my yard. Maybe that's why they're dying. Next year I'm getting some insecticide.

Let me try this this way. Had a real nice post for you that seemed to disappear as soon as it showed up. That has happened 3 times today.

You can spray cayenne pepper on the plants. Actually on any plant. Will keep the bugs and even rabbits away from the plants and your garden as well. Nontoxic to animals and plants. I would not spray them with it in the spring as the Monarch Butterfly need the milkweed to survive. This is all they eat. They lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves, the caterpillar emerges, eats the leaf, metabolizes the toxic fluid, builds it's coccoon and then the beautiful butterflies we all love to see emerge. They should have migrated south by now and the pepper spray would not harm them now and you may salvage the pods. Be sure to wear gloves when spraying it, you don't want it in yours or your babies eyes or mouths.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:17 am

muddy wrote:These damn bugs are all over my milkweed plants in my yard. Maybe that's why they're dying. Next year I'm getting some insecticide.

Checked around while I was doing the coons and there are no bugs on our milkweed (yet?)

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:47 am

Checked around while I was doing the coons and there are no bugs on our milkweed (yet?)[/quote]

Dan you might want to talk to Carol about this??? She seems so sweet...

LOL - I almost spit Cola through my nose when I read this, sorry my mind hasn't been into hunting with 0-5 sitting this season :roll:
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:02 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Checked around while I was doing the coons and there are no bugs on our milkweed (yet?)

LOL - I almost spit Cola through my nose when I read this, sorry my mind hasn't been into hunting with 0-5 sitting this season :roll:[/quote]

ROFLMAO!!!! OK, I think Uncle Lou started it! He gave us too much information earlier....and I just followed suit.

How about "Checked around while I was feeding, watering and cleaning up coon sh*t"

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

CarolsCritterCare wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Checked around while I was doing the coons and there are no bugs on our milkweed (yet?)

LOL - I almost spit Cola through my nose when I read this, sorry my mind hasn't been into hunting with 0-5 sitting this season :roll:

ROFLMAO!!!! OK, I think Uncle Lou started it! He gave us too much information earlier....and I just followed suit.

How about "Checked around while I was feeding, watering and cleaning up coon sh*t"[/quote]

Way betta (Boston area accent) :mrgreen:

I agree - That Uncle Lou certainly is a wealth of information...
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 am

Monday I was out collecting some milkweeds and seen the same bugs. It was weird some milkweeds are all opened up and the rest are green as can be.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 am

Thanks Ed, I will have a talk with her! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”