Beating Buck Fever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
AC Rider
500 Club

Re: Beating Buck Fever

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 am

You have to train your subconcious by picturing and imagining your buck in front of you. Actually put yourself there - it's not pretend. Work on your breathing, picture the buck moving to the correct shot angle, imagine pulling your bow and taking the shot. If you continually do this it will help tremdously.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 am

Besides what everyone else said... One issue with "buck fever" is when people start out hunting big bucks. I think hunters need to learn to kill and need to keep those killer instincts sharp by using them. Part of the knowledge of hunting is how to kill a deer when its close. You need to know when to draw a bow, when to release an arrow, what the deers next move is when he has seen or smelt you... Etc.
Confidence is huge, but part of that confidence building should be achieved by shooting some does or building your way up to bigger bucks.
I know a guy who won't shoot any small bucks and is looking for 150 or better and gets a chance about every 5 years and always blows the opportunity. He draws at the wrong time or he second guesses himself.
Proficiency in killing will give you the confidence when the big boy comes out...
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 am

Right on Dan, I think thats the only way to get rid of real bad buck fever is by making some kills. Until you start doing that its probably only gonna build up the moment even more and make it worse.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 am

dan wrote:Besides what everyone else said... One issue with "buck fever" is when people start out hunting big bucks. I think hunters need to learn to kill and need to keep those killer instincts sharp by using them. Part of the knowledge of hunting is how to kill a deer when its close. You need to know when to draw a bow, when to release an arrow, what the deers next move is when he has seen or smelt you... Etc.
Confidence is huge, but part of that confidence building should be achieved by shooting some does or building your way up to bigger bucks.
I know a guy who won't shoot any small bucks and is looking for 150 or better and gets a chance about every 5 years and always blows the opportunity. He draws at the wrong time or he second guesses himself.
Proficiency in killing will give you the confidence when the big boy comes out...

Dan makes a great point. Kill lots of deer and the process can be repeated with less emotion each time. I still get the shakes after the kill but no longer have this problem before hand....probably due to practice. Its a learned trait. James is also right on, if you dont get excited at all during any point of the encounter-find another hobby. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 am

the rush is natural-sometimes it helps to miss a big one-then you get mad and realize you have to switch from hunting to killing and focus mentally on the making the shot. I hav trained my mind to do this fairly well..so far
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 pm

used to get buck fever when i was younger..now when a buck is closing the distance i just concentrate on picking a spot to shoot..after the shot is done..then i start shaking pretty bad
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 am

Kind of funny. I don't get the shakes when I'm sizing the deer up and drawn back, but the moment that arrow is loosed, my knees wobble like a leaf in a high wind. I even get the chatters with my teeth. Sometimes this is so intense, I have to wait longer than I'd like to before climbing down the tree...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Kind of funny. I don't get the shakes when I'm sizing the deer up and drawn back, but the moment that arrow is loosed, my knees wobble like a leaf in a high wind. I even get the chatters with my teeth. Sometimes this is so intense, I have to wait longer than I'd like to before climbing down the tree...

I'm the same way and thankful that it waits till after the shot otherwise I would probably never be able to kill a deer! :)
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 am

I still laugh when I think of a friends hunt... he stopped looking at the horns once he knew it was a shooter and then shot the wrong buck.

Good answers already, I think it's a combination of both shooting enough deer and developing a good shot process through practice so that you run on autopilot once the shot presents itself.

This article has helped me out of a bad shooting funk...
http://www.archeryhistory.com/articles/ ... unting.pdf

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”