2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:18 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Dan - maybe you could setup some kind of poll as to when people have shot there bucks.
Example being:
1. Nov 1 thru Nov 7
2. Nov 8 thru Nov 14
And so on. Just a thought to see what week most people have shot there bucks during bow season.


dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39135
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Wrinkleneck wrote:Dan - maybe you could setup some kind of poll as to when people have shot there bucks.
Example being:
1. Nov 1 thru Nov 7
2. Nov 8 thru Nov 14
And so on. Just a thought to see what week most people have shot there bucks during bow season.

We could but rut timing varies regionally... For example in S.E. Wisconsin I see the most activity the 1st few days of November, however in Buffalo county and the surrounding region I see more activity the last week of October. In Southern Iowa the peak activity seems to be around the 10th of November...
Wrinkleneck
500 Club
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:18 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:23 am

dan wrote:
Wrinkleneck wrote:Dan - maybe you could setup some kind of poll as to when people have shot there bucks.
Example being:
1. Nov 1 thru Nov 7
2. Nov 8 thru Nov 14
And so on. Just a thought to see what week most people have shot there bucks during bow season.

We could but rut timing varies regionally... For example in S.E. Wisconsin I see the most activity the 1st few days of November, however in Buffalo county and the surrounding region I see more activity the last week of October. In Southern Iowa the peak activity seems to be around the 10th of November...



I guess the poll wouldn't be of much value then, but it would still be interesting to see what kind of time frame most people have shot a buck during bow season.
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 11464
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 am

I finally got around to reading the article and still I just don't buy it. Not saying it doesn't have any effect but what if its cloudy out for a week during full moon, the rut just doesn't happen if the doe's aren't triggered by the moon? Trust your notes and past experiences and you will do fine, this theory is too much one size fits all.

You might even compare it to all the scents, calling, and other pixie dust. They kind of spray and pray, you know someone is going to shoot a nice buck in late Nov and tell everyone about the rut/moon/prediction stuff.
NatureBoy
500 Club
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:14 am
Location: MA
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 am

Singing Bridge wrote:There has been so much research done on this that I have fallen back on what is logical to me based on observation of my hunting areas- take it for what its worth. As Dan noted, in my areas the car/deer accidents sharply escalate during the same two-week period every year. I also jump newborn fawns streamside every spring during the same two-week period. Overall, photoperiodism appears to be the dominant factor in the breeding cycle in my hunting areas.

I agree with this.
headgear wrote:...what if its cloudy out for a week during full moon, the rut just doesn't happen if the doe's aren't triggered by the moon?

It is my understanding that in these moon studies, moon visibility is not what triggers the action. Rather, it is the magnetic effect that the various moon cycles have on wildlife. Just as wild animals and fish are more sensitive to predation and have a "6th sense", they are also supposedly more sensitive to the magnetic influence of the moon cycles.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 11464
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 am

I can understand that part of it, I was just going off memory and they talked about how the moon light helped trigger a doe into estrus, kind of like a boost to the standard photoperiod.
upssmann
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2010 Rut Prediction For the North ???????

Unread postby upssmann » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 pm

I think the shorter days and the amount of daylight is a big thing with the rut weather and hunting preusser of corse also...


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adrenalin, AhrefsBot, Buffalohunter1, Google Adsense [Bot], john1984, ljmueller29, LukeTM, vtbuck and 18 guests