Hunters of Southeast WI!!!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Hunters of Southeast WI!!!!!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 am

I just noticed it is gonna rain tonight so it might not be too bad of an idea to hunt a buck bed in the morning bc they will be getting a late start meaning they will be comming back to bed later, possibley daylight

Good luck!! 8-)

dreaming bucks

Re: Hunters of Southeast WI!!!!!

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:32 am

I've often wondered now, what makes the ideal situation for this.... Do you want them leaving their bed late, like a rainy all day rain, and stops shortly after dark... OR, do you want them to leave their bed at regular time and then it starts raining into the night and maybe quits a couple hr's before daylight, and then maybe they will roam around after the rain quits, just long enough that they get back to their beds late...

I guess what I'm saying is, what is the ideal weather pattern to bring them bucks back to their bed late ?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 am

find the moon phase thread
You can't kill em on the couch
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 am

Great question dreaming bucks. From what i understand its when the rain stops just before light

but we will have to let someone more knowlegable fill us in on this one

But i think the moon and the rain are two different things in this situation. Both can bring a buck back to its bed late
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:45 am

Brandon wrote:find the moon phase thread

ya, I understand how the moon affects them getting back to their bed late, but I was more concerned with what kind of a crappy rainy day or night does it take to bring them back late... I agree Predator tc, someone with a little more knowledge can probably help us out on this one...
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:57 am

I've always found that no matter the time of day all deer, including mature bucks, seem to be up and moving for a short period of time after the rain subsides. So I would say the closer to daylight the rain stops, the better the odds of having deer out of thier beds during shooting light.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:20 am

My opinion is the ideal situation is a heavy rain that lasts till midnight and breaks to a calm morning.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks Dan....
Just so I'm clear on something... Is it better for it to be raining already though during the day before they get out of there bed, that way they get a late start getting out of the bed for the day, and thats what helps with the late return ? Or doesn't it matter really, as long as most of the night it's raining till midnight or so and then clear up ?
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:50 am

I was thinking the same thing it might just keep the big boys out a extra 5 minutes. Good luck in the morning.
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:03 am

rain looks good but this north wind is junk for my buck im after ! boo
Ashley

Unread postby Ashley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 am

Outside of the fact that they are calling for THUNDERstorms in the early morning (thunder usually = lightning) I am so pumped up and ready for the opener I can hardly stand it.
I probably won't sleep a wink tonite.
I intend on being in my stand before shooting light and the only thing that will stop me will be lightning.
Good luck to you Predator...and all you other people that are heading out tomorrow.
I've got a good feeling.... ;) :D :D :D
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Good luck Wisconsin on your opener
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:11 pm

I will be patiently waiting until Saturday afternoon.
During my post season scouting I figured out were a good buck is bedding area is and it just so happens that a north wind is what I need to hunt it. Hopefully it does not change later in the day.
I hope to catch him when he gets up before dark. ;)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 am

anyone shoot a deer?
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:anyone shoot a deer?

Had a shooter at 20 yards. 3.5 yr I think, big body, well outside the ears. Couldn't get drawn before he spooked? It was really calm, and quiet and he was on edge. So much for the 10mph north wind I was expecting. :roll: That would of helped I think because my scent would of never reached him. But it was really a great hunt either way. Heard him rise from his bed 75 yards a way and stage around for a bit until he made it to me about 10 minutes later. He popped out of the thick stuff and held up. My knees were actually knocking :lol: I think he must of caught some of my scent and blew outta there before I could get the shot off. Everything went as scripted until the end. Thanks Dan for the videos and tips on hunting buck beds, would of never seen this buck without them. Oh well, that's hunting I guess. Just have to keep hopping around to the other bedding areas that I have lined up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”