What To Do For A Nocturnal Buck Dan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: What To Do For A Nocturnal Buck Dan?

Unread postby kurt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:43 am

i mean "when creating".not when setting up in the first line.

Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

All great ideas and hope see this buck during the rut!!!
Thanks Everyone,
Stuart
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
dan wrote:One thing you can do is make the food, water, and security better on your land, and hopefully give him more reson to use the bedding area that is on your land.

What do you do to make security better? I assume you cut trees and pile brush or something. But I'd be intrested in specfics from anybody who does this.

Security can be obtained in several ways... Keeping the hunting pressure to a minimum is probably the top way. Its hard for most hunters not to over hunt there land, but they need to realize the less they hunt the land the higher quality each hunt will be. Most mature bucks tolerate very little pressure. Timing and patience are key. ;)

Some bedding areas can be enhanced by determining why the buck is bedding in that specific location and enhancing on that feature. For example if he is bedding on a ridge point looking over a valley he wants visibility below, and thick cover above.
Sometimes you can create bedding areas in spots that have some features but need others to become bedding. Such as falling a tree horizontally at the right position on an otherwise open ridge can create a buck bedding spot... Sometimes a piece of cover looks great but is to small... Adding certain thick high growing grasses along the edge can create enough security to create a bedding area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”