What To Do For A Nocturnal Buck Dan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stuart
500 Club

What To Do For A Nocturnal Buck Dan?

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:06 am

I had been getting pictures of the best buck in the area at 11:30-2:30pm in at night. The only problem with this is how do you hunt a buck like this???

I am hoping this buck will be on his feet in daylight hours during the season.

Dan, has this ever happened when you see bucks nocturnal but show up during the season?

How should I hunt this buck?

My property is small so he has many beds but I do know where one of them are but he does not use it a lot. I would hunt in staging areas but I can't get to them.

Thanks,
Stuart

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What To Do For A Nocturnal Buck Dan?

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:02 pm

No buck is completely nocturnal... They all move within there safe zone in daylight. With your small acreage that could be an issue... One common response from some people will be to wait for pre-rut when the buck is moving in daylight but I find the truly mature bucks don't even roam around much in rut, thats generally the 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year olds.
If he is not bedding where you can hunt him the only thing you could do is change your land so he wants to bed there instead.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 pm

I'd bet he cruises your property during rut if you have doe beds on it.
Take care during the season to keep your does on home turf is the best way to kill mature bucks on small acres that lack Buck bedding.
IMO
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Arrowbender wrote:I'd bet he cruises your property during rut if you have doe beds on it.
Take care during the season to keep your does on home turf is the best way to kill mature bucks on small acres that lack Buck bedding.
IMO

Depends on maturity... 2 and 3 year olds travel to the does a lot more than mature bucks. My observations seem to be that the does travel to the buck with mature bucks.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Think u might need some C'mere Deer.No really though I,m kinda having a similar issue with a local buck. I was thinking about setting up a salt lick with some sleeping pills in it.And then I would just go wait in a tree next to him and shoot'em when he wakes up.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 am

In the past I've wasted entire seasons hunting a peice of land that I got a pic of a good buck on. Now I realize that the bucks I was after never set on the land I could hunt during shooting hours unless I got really lucky during the rut that buck wasn't going to be mine. I've actually got a buck like that right now in my back yard, probably close to a 160 ten point that I can't really hunt. He's bedding somewhere on private land I can't access so if I can't get close to his bed I am just hunting a ghost. He only shows up on my cam between 11:00 and 4AM.

I like Dan's idea, build yourself some bedding areas and see if you can't get him to stage on your land. Its probably not going to happen this year but if you create some bedding after the season you might have a great spot on your hands next year. Don't just go in and make a bedding area, put some serious thought into it so the buck only thinks he's safe.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:31 am

I agree with Dan because I've seen it many times before on my private land spots I hunt! I would rather have a small acerage parcel with good bedding and let the neighbors plant the crops and feed the deer ;) I am also a firm believer that mature bucks are more homebodies during the season than we think! I believe they will breed the does in their given core area but don't venture far and wide into another mature bucks home range all that often! I have found a lot of the mature bucks we kill are getting killed very near where we get pictures of them all summer and early fall. They are more concerned with survival than a 2.5 or 3.5 year old buck and many times the does will go looking for them! Of course there are exceptions and i am speaking generally but i have witnessed this far too much for it to be a coincidence! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 am

dan wrote:
Arrowbender wrote:I'd bet he cruises your property during rut if you have doe beds on it.
IMO

Depends on maturity... 2 and 3 year olds travel to the does a lot more than mature bucks. My observations seem to be that the does travel to the buck with mature bucks.

I've seen this too, thwn the rut kicks in a mature buck will somestimes be traveling with 2-4 mature does, no fawns in tow. You can bet he didn't round them all up, instead they came looking for him.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:10 am

Get as close to the bed as you can...... Do yourself a favor and don't hunt the land until he's using that seldomly used land. this is the best advice I have for you. I have a buck that I've been chasing for two years now and I made the mistake of hunting his bed in the wrong wind because I wanted to get in there so bad and it screwed me. I got another picture of him and that was the last time I saw him, this year I'm staying out until I know he's there.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:22 am

One thing you can do is make the food, water, and security better on your land, and hopefully give him more reson to use the bedding area that is on your land.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 am

dan wrote:One thing you can do is make the food, water, and security better on your land, and hopefully give him more reson to use the bedding area that is on your land.

What do you do to make security better? I assume you cut trees and pile brush or something. But I'd be intrested in specfics from anybody who does this.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:48 am

I too would like to know, how I can make it seem more secure for a mature buck to bed on my small piece of hunting land. I was thinking of having the BEAST master(Big Buck Serial Killer Dan) come to my property in the spring to show me what he would do different to my land to make bucks feel more comfortable bedding there.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 am

Dropping trees and allowing more light in for undergrowth definetly helps to add potential bedding cover. Setting areas off limits = creating sancuaries. CRP, switch grass, or other native grasses can also be a way to create bedding cover in open pastures or fields. A water source may also be factor depending on location.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 am

We have 100 acres, not huge not small. Half of it is tillable. Four years ago we logged out 75 percent of the wooded areas. We left the other 25 percent and will cut that in a few years again. The good oaks were left standing. I posted a pic of a good 10pt earlier this year, and he is still bedding in one of the areas that was cut. Like many said before. Habitat can trump food.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:49 am

when setting up bedding area. make them approachable. the staging area is close so put them in aplace you can acess to hunt the staging. when a property is small you have limited acess points so make the points work with a common wind direction you get.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”