2010 Bowhunting Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2010 Bowhunting Reports

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:55 am

I too have seen chasing that was out of the norm. I have seen bucks chase does in early september already... Although its rare, some does do come in heat outside the normal time frames.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:40 am

A friend of mine texted me on Thur. afternoon that he had a 2 1/2 chasing a doe in his back yard about 5:00.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 am

dan wrote:I went out today and walked way out into the swamp and then a stick got between my string and cam while I was walking and "POP" my string popped off my cam. :evil:
Can't believe how unlucky I have been this season.

You used all your luck up, driving to work Tue. morning! :lol:
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Went out tonight only saw one doe at 6:44pm. Very big deer never came close. You could tell it was opening day of Duck Hunting Horicon Marsh had a lot of shooting going on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Hunting in a public marsh tonight I had a group of three bucks under my stand tonight!! :shock:
It must have been "boy's night out" tonight. :lol:
Too bad they were all small bucks....one 6 pointer....one forkhorn....and one nub buck.(not sure where it's mother was, but he was hanging out with the guys)
The six pointer was sniffing the strap on my climbing stick but never alerted from my scent. Even though they were not shooters it was still neat to see them so close for about a half hour. Hopefully next time they bring grandpa!!
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:01 am

Dewey wrote:Hunting in a public marsh tonight I had a group of three bucks under my stand tonight!! :shock:
Too bad they were all small bucks....one 6 pointer....one forkhorn....and one nub buck.(not sure where it's mother was, but he was hanging out with the guys)
The six pointer was sniffing the strap on my climbing stick but never alerted from my scent. Even though they were not shooters it was still neat to see them so close for about a half hour. Hopefully next time they bring grandpa!!
Wow, sounds like your having a pretty good season on the public so far. Nice job. How far in have you been going?
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 am

seeing a little bucks checking out does as they come by..had a buck this morning at 7:45 come out of the woods and make a scrape about 50 yds in front of me..and then about 30 minutes later a big doe came out and pissed on the scrape so they must feel something with this cold weather...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 am

adrenalin wrote:
Dewey wrote:Hunting in a public marsh tonight I had a group of three bucks under my stand tonight!! :shock:
Wow, sounds like your having a pretty good season on the public so far. Nice job. How far in have you been going?

It depends on where I hunt but usually I am in at least a half mile or better and very rarely see any other hunters. Using hip boots or chest waders you can get away from pretty much everyone and hunt unpressured deer. That is the most important thing especially since this year it seems like the public land is getting pounded which is probably because of the unseasonably cool weather. I have a long list of pre-scouted spots I hunt depending on the wind and stay mobile by not hunting the same spot more than once in a season. The first time you hunt a spot is your best chance to kill a deer.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Valuable lesson learned last night....trust your instincts and past experience. Had bad winds for my two buck beds im really after so id thought id try to shoot a doe for the freezer. I set up near a corn field, just off the swamp where weve had lots of success with does. I was trying to decide where to set up because some of the woods was flooded from all the rain and flooding. Well i went against my better judgement knowing how the deer move through there in the past. So i set up on a trail that had a little more sign 40 yards from where the deer come through in the past. Sure enough 6:45 5 does walked right under the tree i was thinking about putting my stand in before changing my mind. Live and learn.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:51 pm

I took a 3 day trip up North do a little bowhunting. Friday Morning Oct. 1,

I got to the swamp stand at 6:15. The sky was clear and what little was left of the moon gave me enough light to get ready. This stand is a mile from the nearest road. Its on the edge of what we call "Porcupine swamp" This is a huge, wet swamp of cedars and hemlock. At day break, I could hear splashing in the River. That's my early warning that deer are approaching. The river is 25 yards to my left (East).

In short order I saw the source of the splashing.

The River is only about 15 feet wide but there is a very wide section that is more of a pond. It covers about an acre and a half. All morning I could hear ducks and geese taking off and landing. The pond is 50 yards straight in front of my stand.

I stayed on stand until 10:00 and saw only 4 squirrels and 8 wood ducks. While walking out, I spotted more wolf tracks. I saw plenty of tracks last year and it looks like they are here to stay. The tracks are slightly smaller than my wallet (about 3 inches wide) Last year was the first time I had seen wolf tracks in this area.

When I got back to the Farm, I change out of my hunting clothes and enjoyed one of my Dad's breakfasts of bacon and homemade bread. After breakfast, we set about doing some chores. There was a forecast for rain in the afternoon and then frost on Sat and Sunday so we made due with the nice weather. When we hung my doe from opening day, the wooden pulley on our deer hoist spilt in two so I took it home with me and made a replacement on my lath. Job #1 was to install it.

Then it was time to get the last bit of stuff out of the garden before the frost. We dug the last of the potatoes and picked all the squash.

Then it was time to hitch the disc to the Farm-all and till everything under for the year.

With chore #2 out of the way we headed to my brother's lease to take down a ladder stand so it could be re-located on a new parcel another of my brothers recently purchased. This will be my Dad's gun stand because it overlooks a large field of alfalfa and corn. My Father is 74 and uses a crossbow so he will also use this stand during the archer season. I left the camera at home so no pictures of the stand removal.

With chore 3 done, (took far longer than I thought it would) we headed back for some lunch and to get ready for the afternoon hunt. Before I could get suited up, the rain came. It was not expected to last long so I headed out. The rain would come and go so I waited it out in my truck.

When it lightened up, I made the long, wet walk back to a different stand long the same river. The last thing this area needed was more rain. Thank goodness for knee-high rubber boots.

As I walked to my stand, the rains got harder. By the time I was in stand and ready to go, it was a steady rain. I was already wet so I stuck it out. Around 5:45, the rains stopped but the hemlock I was in continued to drip for the rest of the evening.

Shortly before dark, a doe and fawn splashed across the river about 50 yards up stream and then walked straight away. They came and went faster than I could snap a photo. Right a closing time, three coon crossed the river about 25 yards downstream. The first two were normal colored but the last one was pitch black from nose to tail. I have not seen an all black raccoon in a long time.

Saturday Oct. 2

In the morning I picked a different stand that is on higher ground and a little farther from the river. This stand had produced many deer for me in the past. The morning was clear and cold. I enjoyed a great sunrise and hardly a bit of wind.

The morning came and went with only squirrels seen. I sat until 10:00 am and headed back to the farm. After another great breakfast and a visit with my brother, I headed to Rosholt to speak with my Uncle who owns the land I'm hunting. After that, I stayed because "Rippin through Rosholt" was about to begin. The main street was blocked off and tractors of every make and model and vintage were on hand to pull.

After visiting with a few friends, it was back to the farm. I found out my brother in-law was helping my dad erect the ladder stand we pulled out the woods the day before so I drove out to give them a hand. All that's left to do is hang the Camo burlap around the box.

Then it was back to the farm to get ready for the afternoon sit.

The deer seemed to be moving early. as I made the 3 mile drive to where I park my truck I spotted 5 deer mingling with a flock of turkey.

I got to my stand around 3:30 pm. It was a breezy afternoon but at least it wasn't raining. I sat in the stand where I took the doe on opening day and where I saw the small forked buck. This stand is also on the river but in a dryer location about 400 yards downstream from the swamp stand. Around 4:30, I heard splashing in the river.

I tried to take a video but it came out very blurry. (Click the picture to see the video)

I sat until dark and never saw a deer. The temps dropped quite a bit by nightfall. The sky was clear and a forecast for frost. I headed back to the farm. I planned to hunt the swamp stand on Sunday morning and it takes extra time to make the trip back there and all the fresh air and running around made the bed seem very inviting. It could have also been the warm wood fire my dad had built and the hot supper but around 9:00, I couldn't keep my eye open any longer.

Sunday, Oct. 3

The alarm went off at 5:00 am and it was hard to leave the warm bed. I dressed and headed to the truck. The temp was 29 and the windshield of my truck was covered in frost. The trucks heater barely had time to kick it by the time I made it to the hunting land. I was on stand at 6:30. At 7:30, I heard splashing in the river. I will spare you the pictures of the dozen or so wood ducks that swam by. A few geese took of at about 8:00 am. It was a picture perfect morning. A watched a grey squirrel making its way through the woods and when it climbed a distant tree I spotted movement in the distance. It was two deer making their way towards the river.

They followed the river upstream and never got closer than 40 yards from my stand. They were safe either way as I am looking for a buck. At around 9:30 am I spotted what I am certain was a wolf cutting through the swamp. He was on the far side of the river and was nearly black in color and very big. He stopped only briefly but not long enough to get a photo. At 10:00, I climbed down and headed back to the truck. The sun had not yet made it to all parts of the swamp so the frost still lingered in the shadows.

The fall colors are starting to kick in.

As I headed back I spotted two fawns enjoying the morning sun.

After breakfast, it was time to pack up for the long drive home. I enjoyed the Packer Game on the radio and the fall colors during the drive back home. No game was taken during this hunt but it was a great fall weekend. I hope to make the trip back in two weeks. By then, the pre-rut will be kicking in and most of the leaves will have fallen. I look forward to the next trip.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 am

Nice RC. I hunted Friday night on a the edge of a swamp. Got rainded on, and heard thunder but it was north of me and past, so I stayed it out. No deer. Sunday evening, I sat the edge of a cornfield and strip of woods that connect to alfalfa, beans and apples. Saw a 2 1/5, and a doe with twins. The buck came through first, and was waliking in the corn about 2 rows in and step out past me, where I got a better look. He stood for awhile, I think he was getting my scent, as he was now down wind of me. The fawns and the doe caught up to him, and the all mingled together. After about 5 minutes, I get the dreaded snort. :x
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:12 am

Finally, I get to bow hunt and what a messed up trip it was :cry: I took friday off of work to take a 4 1/2 trip north to bow hunt. I was so excitied, the drive was great the trees were colorful, even seen some deer out in a field. I get to my place and it starts pouring ( are you kidding me?). I planned to sit in my log sided tree house, so no worries I will be dry. I pop the trunk of my car...NO HUNTING CLOTHS!!! So I threw on my baby blue rain coat and headed to my stand ( corn was still up too). As I approach my stand I notice something very wrong... the tin roof partially blew off, looked like a duck blind in the sky! I huddled under what was left of roof and couldn't believe what was happening. The rain never let up so I left. Saturday was a whole new day ... I had borrowed some camo from friends, this time I was going to sit in a different stand. I put the jacket on and it smells like fried bacon, no worries I have some spray in the car that should do the trick! I get settled into my ladder stand, but I can't even stand to smell myself! Suprised I didn't attrack a bear :lol: Guess what? I got winded but couldn't see the deer. I ended up with a small 4 poiter under my stand, so much for that no sent theory!!
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 am

Hunted Sunday night in ground blind over new fall plot. Plot is a blend of several products but the young turnip greens are getting pounded. Sixteen turkies were all over it for hours. Than two different sets of does with fawns came and stuffed themselves on the turnip greens. Sadly I forgot to get a turkey tag so had to pass on the multiple long beards that were five yards out :( . Seen a few scrapes along the field lines.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:54 am

This morning's bow hunt started like all others, I awoke at 2 am and was hiking in before 4 am. Crossing the creek was uneventful unlike last time when I swamped my waders, so far so good. I even was able to find my tree right away without wandering around in the dark for an extra half hour. The trouble started after climbing up the tree. A branch was blocking one of my shooting lanes so I decided to cut it down with my saw. I quickly determined that the branch was dead and dried out and all the sawing was going to make too much racket so I decided to just reach out and give it a yank to break it off. The first yank I heard a loud pop, figuring the next yank would do the trick I pulled again, harder, and sent a tree the diameter of a telephone pole crashing into my stand tree. Luckily I had set my stand at enough of an angle so I could duck behind my tree and avoid being crushed by this falling tree. Unfortunately the falling tree was forked and as the branches crashed down on either side of my stand tree it tangled my pull rope so I couldn't pull my bow up. Even worse the falling tree didn't fall all the way to the ground, but was wedged up tight against my tree and the branches where blocking the descent of my climbing tree stand below me. After much maneuvering and breaking of branches I was able to descend half way and untangle my pull rope, thus was able to hunt until 10:00. Not surprisingly I didn't see any deer, but I did make it home alive. Had I not been able to descend I would have had to call my wife to bring me a saw, and cut down the rest of the tree. Good thing it didn't come to that, because I would have had to direct her in via cell phone instructions, (almost a mile) and she would have had to borrow my too big, leaky waders to ford the creek, she would still probably be wandering around the public hunting area.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:09 am

Jackson Marsh and Dawn!! Wow, what terrible luck. Dawn, I wouldn't worry too much, you (I) know you'll make up for it in the days to come ;)

As for myself, I took to the stand for a second time this season, and again returned to the same stand I sat two weeks prior when I had the two bucks and solo doe feeding below me. still needing earn my buck, I was hoping for a doe, but would have welcomed a buck to keep me company while I waited.

At 6:20, here comes the same 120" 9 point I watched at 30 yards last time, and he was coming down the same trail - offering a number of shots. He fed for 20 minutes below me before a pair of does showed up at last light. I turned on the purple haze sight light and settled my 35 yard pin and let fly. I heard the arrow break her skin, but could not actually see where she was hit, but guessed I broke her shoulders as her front end dropped and she did the snow plow death run.

I started looking for help immediately via text - it would be a long drag through some super thick stuff. I ended up asking my wife after all the guys were a no go and she "gladly" came to lend a hand. I told her that when I finally crawled down and found/marked first blood that a pack of 8 or 9 coyotes had been too close for comfort and could possibly be at the kill sight by the time we got there, so stay close.

"I'm not worried." Christie replied.

"You're not?" I inquired, a little shocked.

"No, I'm with you, why would I be worried?" She responded.

Well, that about hardened my heart like a lion protecting it's young, lol. After finding the deer, I quickly realized I hadn't shot an ordinary doe, I shot a swamp donkey of a doe. She had to go 140-150 before dressing her.

As I gutted her, the smell wafted in the air and with the yotes close by as I presumed, a chorus of hungry excited coyotes sent chills down my spine - they were too close this time.

I finished quickly and with Christie's help, began dragging, but the coyotes wouldn't relent. We stopped for a break and I scanned with the light... several pairs of eyes about 10 yards apart from one another now shown. I told Christie not to worry, they were more afraid of us than we are of them and she carried on casually as we hauled the doe out. Half-way back to the car they found the gut pile and the songs of their victory peirced the silence once again.

Whew, what a drag out of there.. So, long story short, I've earned my buck for this particular unit AND fullfilled my end of the bargain to trade meat as a partial trade-off for the permission to hunt the land. Now I need another EAB before gun season !!

I'll post a pic tomorrow.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”