2010 Bowhunting Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2010 Bowhunting Reports

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:09 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I went out last Saturday night on 9-25. I hunted on our family farm in hill country. Sat on top of a ridge on an alfalfa field completely surrounded by hardwoods. Saw a total of 14 deer. 7 were bucks. Right at dark my target deer came out with 4 other bucks. He is a 130-140 10 pointer. But he was bedded to the north of the field with a northwest wind? I know where his bed is but I just dont understand why he bedded where he did according to the wind. He ended up 50 yards out of range. Then last night on that same ridge top but different stand my uncle killed a 3.5 year old 9 pointer with a split brow tine. 130 class it looks like. He hit liver and one lung left him over night and found him this morning. He is going to get a Eueropean mount so im excited to see how it will turn out.

Any pictures?

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Eleven hunts so far, 7 produced deer within 25 yards.....
only busted once. :mrgreen:

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am

Hey Dan Im up at college but Im coming home tonight. I will get pics from my brother who was with on the recovery of the buck. I'll post some within the next few days. Also my brother videotaped his own bowhunt on the ground and got great footage of a really nice 8 pointer he ended up shooting on video but didnt recover him. :( Hit him high in the shoulder blade. I cant wait to see his video tho he said its really good.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:03 am

I went this morning (9-30) for the morning moon phase. I was setup by 5:15 and had 2 deer by me at 5:35. One came to my tree, the other was about 20 yards guessing.I didn't see the deer but it was grunting about every minute. The deer were upwind so they could not smell me so my guess is they watched my climb and waited to check me out.Then around 6:05 had two deer go behind me at 40 yards.Then at 6:30 I had a doe and 2 fawns in the same spot as the two deer behind me eating acorns for a few minutes and eventually left.I needed her to go about 5 yards in order for her to offer a shot but she veered off in a differant direction.Then around 7:10 I had another doe 40 yards up wind that didn't offer a shot.Finally at 8:00 when i was ready to leave a doe was spotted around 50 yards out from me. I think it was the same deer that I saw at 7:10 just doing a big circle. No shots today but I saw deer and my cover didn't get blown!!Not sure how many deer were the same.So if I had to guess 9 sightings and 8 deer. I will try again tomorrow!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 am

I went out today and walked way out into the swamp and then a stick got between my string and cam while I was walking and "POP" my string popped off my cam. :evil:
Can't believe how unlucky I have been this season.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:59 pm

dan wrote:I went out today and walked way out into the swamp and then a stick got between my string and cam while I was walking and "POP" my string popped off my cam. :evil:

And then you looked up and there was a 180 incher staring at you ten yards away.

That is some bad luck...
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:09 am

I went again this morning(10-1) and saw 2 deer. One at 6:50 and the other at 7:10
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:16 am

I saw 5 wed night in a 2 hour sit. 3 spikes and 2 does. I think I missed the buck I was after by about 100 yards judging by the passing truck that hit the binders and slammed his truck into reverse and then stopped 100 yards down the road at 6:45.

Last night I moved down 100 yards and seen absolutely nothing.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:42 am

dan wrote:I went out today and walked way out into the swamp and then a stick got between my string and cam while I was walking and "POP" my string popped off my cam. :evil:

That is some serious bad luck... 1st time for everything, I suppose. Why didn't I watch my Marsh Bucks DVD sooner?? You think you know it all until you watch that DVD... Totally opened my eyes to some fundamentals I'm thinking about constantly.

Been a long week being away from home since Sunday after seeing those nice bucks last week. No more work travel for at least a couple months for me, so game on after this weekends duck opener.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:03 am

Good luck to everyone this weekend, hopefully someone can put a big one down. Even better if it was me!
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:05 am

Surprised at the deer sign in N. Minn. last weekend considering how severe the winter rating was. I am really keyed for my late Oct-Nov hunt up there!
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Went out last night 9/30 and saw 2 fawns walking out. Then saw a small 5 point and a year and a half 7 pointer. I also saw 4 more fawns and kicked up a couple deer walking out, which disappointed me.
Tonight I sat out in the rain and saw a glance of one deer at 5 45 besides that nothing. On 9-30 the moon guide was right on with the deer moving at around 6:40 I am hoping that it is right about tomorrow morning at 8:10
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 pm

A guy I work with claims he was out hunting tonight and saw a three different bucks chasing does. He thinks the rut is starting already. :roll:
I know I have seen lots of scrape and rubbing activity already which is kinda unusual but I can't explain what he was seeing tonight. Once in awhile you will see a younger buck harassing a doe sometimes early in the season but three bucks in one day is kinda strange. The does are nowhere near ready to breed yet because of the amount of daylight to trigger them but the bucks are ready to go as soon as they shed velvet. Since we have had some unusually cool weather could this have accelerated the start of pre-rut?
Everything else seems 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule this year??
I'm confused and this weekend I will have to verify myself what he has been seeing.
Just wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this the last few days?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I've seen bucks chasing does a searly as the second week in Oct. before, not all does cycle at the same time and sometimes you see a few come into estrous early.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 am

Last weekend just south of town some miles, a guy shot a buck with 22inch spread and 13pts on one side not sure on the other side. Saw a picture of it on a cell phone they say it will score 200-220 inches nice buck. About 5 years ago a kid shot a true 30pt just out of town. This area has some huge bucks, a lot of private land and cattails and marsh for the big boys to grow. I have seen over the years some beauties spotlighting I would love to hunt the lands of the giants. Going out tonight in the public hope to be able to pull back on something tonight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”