Have your camera's been working ok ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Have your camera's been working ok ?

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 am

I have went to stealth cams I have 10 of them they all still work great some are 4 years old. Just putt them out the other day

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:40 am

In a group we have 45+ cameras... Moultrie seems to be the most popular. The M80, M80 Blackout I990, I880 all seem to be working flawlessly. In total we have about 10 or so Cuddeback Captures that run on D batts from 5-6 seasons ago all still working! These cameras have taken at least 25K pics each! Reconyx are really nice... one guy in the group has 4 of them... but I would rather have 4 newer Moultries.

The only camera I had terrible luck with were the Scoutguards. They had great reviews but out of the 7-8 we bought as a group I think only 1 works still. JUNK
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:37 am

I think I have 8 Bushnell Trophy Cams 1 to 4 years old and all are still working great. I couldn't be happier with them.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:59 pm

I've purchased several cameras over the years. I have 20+ in the field from June - January. Best performers are Moultrie, Bushnell, and Covert for me. Some of my Moultries have over 40,000 pictures under their belt. I really like the performance out of the new Brownings and expect to buy a couple more once Black Friday sales start up again.

Spypoint, cuddyback, and scoutguards are OK. StealthCams are junk imho.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:39 am

solocam88 wrote:The bushnells have not been as reliable for me either. Seems like they are made cheaper and they are a lot slower.

Thats interesting as I have heard that from a number of people recently. I run all bushnells and they work great, the best of many different brands I have used over the years, but have not bought one in over a year, they are all 1-3 years old. Wonder what changed.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:24 am

JoeRE wrote:
solocam88 wrote:The bushnells have not been as reliable for me either. Seems like they are made cheaper and they are a lot slower.

Thats interesting as I have heard that from a number of people recently. I run all bushnells and they work great, the best of many different brands I have used over the years, but have not bought one in over a year, they are all 1-3 years old. Wonder what changed.

My bushnells also fall into the 1-3 age group. All run flawlessly and efficient.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 am

I have 3 Coverts(2 Black 60s, 1 Red 40), 2 Moultrie M-990i, 1 Bushnell, 2 Brownings. I only have the Brownings out now as they are the newest and am testing them more or less. I have not had any trouble with the Moultrie cameras. The covert red 40 has been sent in twice. The Bushnell was sent in 3 times and then a good one came in. The Brownings are too new to tell. Coverts C.S. is second to none.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 am

I have 5 moultries. So far so good except one got invaded by carpenter ants, I have yet to take it apart and see if it is salvageable.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:32 am

3 cameras.
M80 for three years, no problems. M80 black two years, no problems. Just got a covert Mp6 black and really like it....so far.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 am

I had the old style Cuddebacks that were made in WI and they worked great for years. Still have 1. I've been running 3 of reconyx cams i bought new in the summer of 2010 with no issues as well. Love the reconyx but they are spendy. After everything is said and done tho with battery life and zero trips to get them fixed it prolly works out in the end..
Skewerer

Unread postby Skewerer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:35 am

I have 6 homebrew cameras that I built back in 2009. All of them have tens of thousands of pics and still going strong. I use a sony s600 for the camera and a Yeti for the control board. The flash on the s600 will blind you, and the trigger speed of about 2s will catch any walking deer. I've been really happy with them. Best thing is that if they ever do break, I know how to fix them.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:38 pm

I have a Moultrie M80 after 3 years I think the screen just went out I couldn't read it a few days ago. It lights up and just blank hopefully their are still pictures but if date and time cannot be set it will still suck I will just use it on weird tasks then. My bushnells which I had 4 at one time after 2 years I had 2 that didnt work one got sent in because it was in warranty. I was sent a new one (probably refurb). That stopped working one year later. That same year another one stopped working at night pictures are black Everything else works even day pictures. I think it might be IR filter I may tinker with it.

As far as inexpensive cameras what do guys like and whats the best deal price wise? and where do you get them? Someone mention black Friday deals.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:51 pm

kurt wrote:I have a Moultrie M80 after 3 years I think the screen just went out I couldn't read it a few days ago. It lights up and just blank hopefully their are still pictures but if date and time cannot be set it will still suck I will just use it on weird tasks then. My bushnells which I had 4 at one time after 2 years I had 2 that didnt work one got sent in because it was in warranty. I was sent a new one (probably refurb). That stopped working one year later. That same year another one stopped working at night pictures are black Everything else works even day pictures. I think it might be IR filter I may tinker with it.

As far as inexpensive cameras what do guys like and whats the best deal price wise? and where do you get them? Someone mention black Friday deals.

These days I target about $125/camera. Moultrie 880/990 series, Covert, and Browning can be had at that price. Browning hasn't been in the market long enough, so buyer beware....

Amazon, Wing Supply, Ebay...Google is your friend.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Wrong time to buy now... best is Jan-Mar

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:36 pm

"These days I target about $125/camera. Moultrie 880/990 series, Covert, and Browning can be had at that price. Browning hasn't been in the market long enough, so buyer beware...."

what coverts do you like?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”