What are your rules of thumb?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Indianahunter
500 Club

What are your rules of thumb?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 am

Over the years I have tried to maximize my time in the woods by attempting to be patient and hunt when I felt the conditions were most favorable and the least intrusive. Here are a few of mine I am interested in hearing everyone elses.

I don't hunt on days that are forecast to be windy 20mph or greater all day. Here in Indiana it just seems to be dead.

I also hate light and variable wind days and typically won't hunt like I used to. Ideal wind speed for me is 8-10 mph

I like hunting in the rain, but won't hunt in an all day pouring rain. Now if the front is projected to move out in a couple of hours that is an awesome time to be in the woods in my experience.

NO FREEZING RAIN EVER!!! It can be dangerous and you just can't be quiet. If I am on stand and a freezing rain moves in I typically climb down and get out of dodge.

Super Hot days.....I never see anything, I sweat profusely and stink up everything everywhere I go in the woods, and I can't stand swatting skeeters away from my ears.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Zap

Re: What are your rules of thumb?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 am

Rule #1- If you ain't in the woods or fields you ain't gonna get a shot at a deer, see the sign your lookin for or see a good buck.

Rule #2- See rule #1.

:mrgreen:

But I get what you are sayin......

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 am

Unless It's a misty spotty rain you won't see me hunting. To many times I've saw double lunged deer go way to far and would've been a real pain to find with out blood.

25 MPH and up winds and you generally won't see me hunting. I can't stand gusty winds!!!

20 to 25 yards Is my max yardage and rule of thumb. Some days It's less.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 am

All those days that are nasty to hunt, are excellent scouting days.

My only rule, be in the woods doing something productive.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

If the conditions you mention keep you from hunting, then they look to be very good scouting conditions! Except for the scorching hot days, the high-winds and rain make for prime opportunities to be on-foot checking out sign.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:02 pm

I scout a lot more than I hunt, including during season and will take advantage of bad weather conditions if needed. Regarding super hot weather, I am backwards to most in my interactions with buck and bear. Sweating profusely, mosquitos and very hot weather have me consistently seeing bucks and bears, despite their coats making things miserable for them. I know, seems crazy but I Consistently see animals moving in these horrid conditions- yes, I am near their beds and dens and water/swamp when hunting. :shock:

I also like to have a "4 Seasons" stand in place for deer season. It will consist of a thick ground blind with overhead cover or a popup blind that I brush in heavily. My requirements for it are that it has quick, easy access and that it provides protection from the elements. I locate them alongside and sometimes right within deer funnels. When impossible conditions present themselves, 30 mph winds with sideways sleet/snow, or intermittent heavy rain followed by periods of light drizzle, I slip in and hunt this close-to-my-parking-spot stand.

One of my favorite "4 Seasons" hunts... my stand was set up on a deer travel funnel just outside of a doe bedding area during Michigan's gun season in the Upper Peninsula. A blizzard warning was issued, and one of those snows that will build a few inches on your coat in twenty minutes was pounding down. I could only see about 15 yards at best, and a big buck materialized out of the whiteout and trotted by my blind. He was visible less than three seconds before being swallowed up by the snow, and I never even got my gun to my shoulder (impossible to hear him coming). I'll never forget the hunt, though.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 pm

I'll hunt in the rain so long as it's not a downpour. I prefer to hunt just after a good shower as it seems to get the critters on thier feet.

On super windy days I hunt lower in valleys than I normally would and near thick cover as the deer seem to move only in the thick stuff on very windy days.

Hot days don't bother me either, except that I generally won't head to the tree as early as I normally would. I find on the really hot days hunting near water is key as almost everything will move before dark to get a drink.

What was said earlier about scouting is spot on, if you can't be in the tree during bad weather, hit the ground and wear out some boot leather. If it's raining hard most of your scent will get washed away so you might be able to scout areas you would normally stay away from, just be careful not to let deer see you and spook.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:02 am

Downpour no hunting, scout look around. Light winds in the tree. Very windy most of the time no, but if its during or close to breeding yes. I have a memory burned in my mind. One of the 1st times I hunted public, about 4 years ago. Was not seeing anything on private, found some public down the road and had a giant walk within 12 yards. To bad I never heard or seen him until he crossed the creek and started to tear up a sapling. It was like slow motion, I caught movement directly to my left side and that was it. The wind was gusting to 30 mph. I was in a creek bottom and seen 2 shooters in that stuff. Will always go when breeding is on their minds.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 am

Most of the time I am very limited to when I can hunt. I have 2 young kids and a wife that has to work almost every weekend. So if there is a way to hunt during all the conditions mentioned above I will somehow try to hunt if my wife is home or I can find someone to watch my kids.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Most of the time I am very limited to when I can hunt. I have 2 young kids and a wife that has to work almost every weekend. So if there is a way to hunt during all the conditions mentioned above I will somehow try to hunt if my wife is home or I can find someone to watch my kids.

Same here Wrinkleneck, two young ones and I get out when I can, save a pouring rain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”