Shooting a doe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
muddy

Re: Shooting a doe

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 am

I'll take the adult doe out with no problems. The areas I hunt have an overabundance of food so by the time the 1st of October gets here I'm not worried about the fawns. I feel a little bad, but I feel a little bad when I take down a big buck too.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 am

Fawns can survive without momma after the first 2 weeks or so of being born.........I have no problem shooting does with fawns or if the fawn is a early drop and big enough I would take the fawn. With dropping populations of deer taking a mature doe takes out all the offspring from the future as well, so doe fawns will probably be my meat targets this year. Also don't want to take any adult does before Nov. unless i see alot of does early season.

I think the movie Bambi has engrained a feeling for young deer in us that is really unfounded, in the movie hunters kill momma and Bambi is left SAD and to fend for himself. Well I don't believe deer have emotions like humans, I have seen fawns bleating for momma before and all I see is an animal that has lost contact with another and is looking for her, just as it would if it fed too far from her and lost sight.......Deer don't have emotions, just instincts and the fawns instinct is to follow momma, until she either kicks them away to breed or she dies.
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:13 am

dan wrote:I would have no problem shooting the doe if it was not hurting my buck chances.

i feel the same way and thats if i want meat or needed a earn a buck
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:16 am

Ideally, I like to shoot a yearling doe, given that wasn't one of the choice, I would shoot the adult doe. Like many others I have shot any "doe" I could for EAB. I don't feel good about shooting fawns either, but have done it to get a sticker. I like to shoot my freeze meat as soon as possible in the season. I have a few field edge stands, that I call my doe killing stands, as to not mess with my buck stands. I won't shoot a doe, if I think I have a buck bedded near by.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:35 am

Last year I shot a fawn that already lost her mom. That meat is delicious.

I just threw her front shoulder on the charcoal for an hour the other night after grilling. Then set it in the oven at 170 overnight. It falls apart, then add a little barbq sauce and a bun, little slice of cheese.

Did I not answer the question. I'm sorry. Yes we will shoot the doe also. We eat them too. To some extent, it matters where I am hunting, but nonetheless, we shoot them and eat them.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:11 am

I have shot alot of mature does, with fawns its part of the harvest season just like apples or taters. I have permision on my farms to shoot deer, not one bit of the does I shoot go to waist. I also have to earn my buck tag. I do feel bad for about 3 minutes than I remember I have little ones, and some of the people in my neiborhood do too. 4 or 5 deer a year feed a lot of people,and take alot of financial pressure of them too.
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:54 am

I have shot mature does with fawns before in the early season. I don't really mind it because just like Chris said fawns can surivive just fine with out momma.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:21 am

I would personally shoot the doe. I've read in mags that once a fawn loses it's spots, he/she will no longer need the aide of the mother. If doe is a matriarch and has been breed for the past 3-4 seasons, then she needs to be harvested and removed from the heard due to a higher risk of having birth defects and no longer has dominant genes. Yes or No?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 am

BowtechHunting wrote: If doe is a matriarch and has been breed for the past 3-4 seasons, then she needs to be harvested and removed from the heard due to a higher risk of having birth defects and no longer has dominant genes. Yes or No?

I would say no. The genetics that she will pass on remains constant, as genes can't change with age. I believe a doe will be productive for a little longer than 3-4 years, just my opinion, as I really haven't seen any data on this. I do believe that eventually she will become less and less productive, as well as smarter and harder to kill. My .02.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:00 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Just was wondering what everyone thinks of a totally healthy doe with a fawn or fawns. Do you shoot the doe or not and why? I myself would give the doe a free pass. I was interested in what others think about this.

I would shoot the doe if I was hunting in a unit that can handle the removal of an adult doe. I have done it many times already when they had a fawn with them. The fawns can easily fend for themselves by Sept.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
BowtechHunting wrote: I do believe that eventually she will become less and less productive, as well as smarter and harder to kill. My .02.

Agree 100%
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am

In areas I feel it won't hurt the population I'll shoot the doe or doe fawn or have shot both in the past.....doesn't bother me.

We feed deer in the backyard in the winter.....yeah I know......anyway, for those that feel bad watching the fawns bawl a little after momma is down; should watch what a doe does to her own fawns and other deer at a food source in winter.

I've seen my wife just about go nuts saying we need to kill this one doe just because she is so "mean". :lol:
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 am

Brandon said
Big doe usually has a perfect yearling with here and her fawn(s) early..

X2

This is usually the case early season and is the perfect scenario. Bigger deer than the fawns and still very tender meat. And to top it off your doing Mamma a favor. More than once I've seen her battling with the yearling in the early season trying to get them out on their own.

Sam said
If mom comes by with her yearling, she's getting the nod and pass.

I don't get this. I know guys that shoot the fawns and not the yearlings because the yearling will breed and propagate.
If you don't shoot does with yearlings; do you shoot the yearlings?
I think some of the fawns will breed so it is a poor argument. Your probably better off shooting the old doe, she has less breeding years ahead of her.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Just to throw more food for thought on the fire...

Another reason I shoot the adult doe is because older does are more apt to throw twins and triplets where doe and yearling fawns tend to produce singletons. In high density deer areas where I hunt killing 3 or 4 deer with one arrow makes landowners happy.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Doe or Fawn?

Inney, minny, miney, moe..............

A deer is a beast built for survival not one of thoughts and feelings.

I practice appropriate management depending on what I determine the population levels are at on my various properties.

I always feel some form of remorse when I take an animal, but I understand it is part of the cycle of the natural world.

Fred Bear had a great quote that every hunter should think about when taking game:

"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedon than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow"

I love this one!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”