Jumping the string

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: Jumping the string

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 pm

I've been ducked on once... :roll:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Sneaky wrote:Happened to me a couple of times. Always when they were on alert.

Same here...
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:57 pm

Haven't had any problem with this but my bow is really quiet.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Any deer an arrow has been shot at has the chance to jump the string. Depends on if they hear the shot.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 am

In 25 years of bowhunting only I possibly had one doe duck when I shot, she was 10 yards away. I can't say for sure though being I might of shot high too and just missed. I think people miss more then they think rather then the deer jumping the string.
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 am

I think a high shot angle makes it so they don't have to drop as far. A deer that's on alert is more likely to jump at the sound of the shot... not just the bow, the arrow in flight makes noise too.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 am

From all the experiences posted on this topic there appears to be little debate whether a deer drops at the sound of the shot. Treejunkie and zap said it best, on alert deer aim lower for that heart shot - if they drop you double lung them , if they don't drop you heart shoot them = it's a win/win situation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm

The bucks that have jumped the string on me have mostly been alert deer... Deer that were stopped with a grunt or whistle, deer called in, deer that seen or smelled me...
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Here's a doe that jump the string on my brother in law last year. The pictured wound is the exist side the entrance was high looked to be between the shoulder blades. I looked for two hrs & found nothing, final found the broadhead & 15" of shaft with no blood. The part of the shaft was covered in fat. He said the string slapped his jacket. I assumed she ducked & rolled, but the pics confirm.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:11 am

I have only had one deer ever jump the string on me. Last year I got a 25 yard shot at a mature 6 pointer I had to grunt loudly at him to stop and he looked up and saw me...I have had deer peg me before, right before the shot and been ok because they were generally super close but he dropped 6-8" at the shot and I spined him. I think that people who have lots of problems with deer jumping the string could solve the problem by looking at why the deer are so alert when they are shooting. Deer are at their most alert state when they are feeding because their vision may be impaired and they know predators congregate around thier food sources. If you stop them with an un-natural sound they will be more prone to jumping the string too.

Any deer can jump the string, but I don't think it needs to be a chronic problem.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 am

I see a lot of newer hunters thinking their bow is faster than a deer. Body language of the deer will give you an idea how it will react at the shot. If a deer has caught your ground scent, is slightly in you scent stream (indicated by nose up and quick lick of nose) caught any of your movement, or heard you, even if they seem to calm down high chance for a string jump. I think opposite of a lot of guys hear and think more high misses are string jumps.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 am

Back in 2009, On opening day I was next to a hay field edge on the farm.

I had seen 2 good bucks before the opener, and knew I wanted to be in a particular spot to intercept them on a trail that ends right at the hay field. There is an apple tree, right on the edge that they use for a scrape, and I had seen both bucks in the same area/trail. anyways....

I could see the buck headed my way, a target buck, while I waited for a clear shot as he stepped into the field and alongside the apple tree. I did the mouth grunt thing to stop him, He ended up at about 28-30 yards, full alert, looking right at me. You bet he ducked.

Slap. A spine shot. I felt terrible. Every deer on the planet, deserves a double lung shot, and It didn't happen on this buck. He went down of course like a load of bricks. Only his front legs would work, as I tried to quickly put another arrow into the ribcage. It seemed like forever, but I did put the second shot where it counts. A fat, farm buck, dressed out at 198. I will never forget trying to load that buck in my truck! And then driving over to a cousins birthday party, sure was fun.

It CAN happen!
1 John 2:15 - read it
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:25 am

I've had the good fortune to be able to hunt in Africa 3 times. The PH's pretty much video every shot taken at an animal. After watching hundreds of clips in slow motion there was only a few times the animal did not react to the shot before being hit. Granted most times the reaction was not enough to save them but they pretty much all reacted. Warthogs can jump the string like you cannot believe! I think some of what causes animals to jump the string is not just the sound of the bow going off. They can hear the arrow coming. I tested this before by standing next to a huge oak while my buddy shot arrows past me with his compound. You can hear the arrow flying.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 am

Zap wrote:Aim low....

marty

Agreed. If the deer is even a little alert, I am aiming low!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:44 am

twice both alert. 2009 buck caught me drawing, at the shot(28yds)he started to drop and twist i caught him high lungs and he went 80 yds. last year i shot that buck full alert steep quartering away (26yds) at t he shot he dropped and twisted and i hit his face--never recovered , showed back up on cams 4 days later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”