How much blood can a deer lose ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 am

Does anybody know how much blood a deer has in it ? I mean, lets say you wound a deer, and it was a non fatal hit... but lets say he's bleeding pretty good according to the blood trail.. I'm just wondering how much blood they can lose, before they tip over and die ? I'm just going to guess 2 gal, but I honestly have no idea.....


User avatar
Indianahunter
500 Club
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: Greensburg Indiana
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 am

“The average white-tailed deer weighing about 150 pounds, carries about 8 pints of blood in its circulatory system. Massive hemorrhage is necessary to bring a deer down quickly. A deer must lose at least 35 percent of its blood, or 2 3/4 pints in a 150 pound animal, before falling the first time. Vital area hits insure quick blood loss. Deer blood carries high levels of Vitamin K1 and K2 in early autumn. This vitamin is an antihemmorrhagic agent, which promotes clotting”
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
ramblinman
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:16 pm
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby ramblinman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 am

nice reply indianahunter never really thought about that
buck_junkie
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:07 pm
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby buck_junkie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Never thought about it. I know last season I shot a doe, and with all the twists and turns she made and the distance she covered, when I recovered her I honestly thought that she ran out of blood and adrenalin.
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:10 am

buck_junkie wrote:Never thought about it. I know last season I shot a doe, and with all the twists and turns she made and the distance she covered, when I recovered her I honestly thought that she ran out of blood and adrenalin.


I had the same thing happen once.... I shot a doe, and she just kept bleeding and bleeding, and I kept thinking she's got to be just around the next corner, but nope, just kept going... I eventually found her, but I could not believe how long the blood trail went, and that's when I started to think to myself, how much damn blood do these deer have ? :roll:
User avatar
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 am
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:09 am

Apparently more than one would think :( Lost the buck of my lifetime last year after opening him up with a Rage - shot was a little high, possibly no mans land. Still, the deer bled heavily for 300 yards of tracking through the marsh and eventually ran up... Searched high and low for him.

Landowner's dog found him this spring and kept the head - denies it, but admitted finding a giant deer corpse while turkey hunting and says the head was missing... BS, it's missing cause it's in his garage!!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dreaming bucks
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:50 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Apparently more than one would think :( Lost the buck of my lifetime last year after opening him up with a Rage - shot was a little high, possibly no mans land. Still, the deer bled heavily for 300 yards of tracking through the marsh and eventually ran up... Searched high and low for him.

Landowner's dog found him this spring and kept the head - denies it, but admitted finding a giant deer corpse while turkey hunting and says the head was missing... BS, it's missing cause it's in his garage!!


I remember you telling that story Sam.... that really sucks ! Do you talk to that guy anymore ? just curious....
Wrinkleneck
500 Club
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:18 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 am

Interesting stuff for sure!!
User avatar
Indianahunter
500 Club
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: Greensburg Indiana
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:26 am

To put it in to perspective the example I gave is nearly equivalent to 1 1/2 two liters of soda. When the deer starts out running after the shot there is still a considerable amount of pressure pushing that blood through. In the flight or flight response deer can run up to 30 miles per hour. Shake up a 2 liter of pop, open it up enough to spray everywhere and drive down the road at 20 to 30 miles per hour. It would appear that the pop went everywhere and you would get a pretty good ways down the road before the pop came out at a trickle. A deer can cover a lot of ground and make a bloody mess at those kinds of speeds. Off to the doctor, catch up with everyone soon.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
User avatar
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 am
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: How much blood can a deer lose ?

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:39 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Sam Ubl wrote:Apparently more than one would think :( Lost the buck of my lifetime last year after opening him up with a Rage - shot was a little high, possibly no mans land. Still, the deer bled heavily for 300 yards of tracking through the marsh and eventually ran up... Searched high and low for him.

Landowner's dog found him this spring and kept the head - denies it, but admitted finding a giant deer corpse while turkey hunting and says the head was missing... BS, it's missing cause it's in his garage!!


I remember you telling that story Sam.... that really sucks ! Do you talk to that guy anymore ? just curious....


He's gotten very weird - or at least when we talked about the deer... Think he felt guilty knowing how much it meant to me to have some closure to that monarch. It was a bit awkward in the sense that I felt some distance or something when we last talked. I have left 2 messages in past month requesting to discuss this up coming bow season. I think I have that feeling :evil:
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5BLASTER, Chuck B, hunter_mike, Jackson Marsh, Kraftd, LukeTM, TrendictionBot, westwibuckhunter, WIswampdweller20 and 16 guests