What's The Biggest Buck.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: What's The Biggest Buck.....

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:46 am

I passed a mature 8 pt over 200# dressed one year while doing deer drives - I had just shot deer #3, cut a corner of a field, stopped just inside the woods and deer exploded in all directions - put the x-hairs on him running at 50 yards. Decided not to shoot cause we had a freezer full. Have not seen a buck that would even be close to him since that day, that was about roughly 30 years ago...

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 am

https://youtu.be/KYZB-5-fTTw

Regret passing. Short tines...but a lot of them.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 am

Wow Maine, that is some restraint right there
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:15 am

Purposely passed on a couple in the 120-125 range this past season. Past on a WIDE heavy short stubby 9pt that I would have shot in a heartbeat and been very happy to do so. He came out sideways in the sun and I couldn't get a decent look at his antlers. His body was deceiving because he was down in a lowspot and by the time he had walked past me and turned to see the mass and width of the antlers he was out around 400 yards. I still don't regret it, because I ended up shooting an old really cool buck that I had to actually work for to figure out. If I had not killed that buck and had to eat my tag it would sting a little more.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 am

About 15 years ago I was set up on the end of a point leading in to a wet swampy beaver pond area. I had a nice 11 point with a forked left g2 come right to me. This was my first sit of the year and I might have been too high in the tree(30 feet). He didn't look too huge so I let him go.
3 weeks later my buddy shot him about a mile and a half away. It was over 200 pounds and grossed 140.
Looking back I learned to not sit so darn high and stop watching hunting videos of giants all off season because they might give you unrealistic expectations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”