what happens when a deer cuts your trail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
wmihunter

what happens when a deer cuts your trail?

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm

this is somethin i have been wondering-i am looking at hunting some funnels that are best for an east wind but usually we have westerly winds. so my thought is to cross the deer trails as far away from the funnel as possible to get on the downwind side of the funnel. what are your thoughts?? will mature deer (does included) turn around when they hit a human scent trail?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: what happens when a deer cuts your trail?

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Some will ignore your scent... Some will notice it and proceed with caution... Some will turn around and get out of Dodge...
Either find a way to access without crossing the trail ( best option ) or cross the trail down farther from the way you expect deer to come.
If for some reason you expect travel from both directions and can't access from the back side cross the trail where you can shoot the deer when they smell your access trail or just before.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:36 pm

i expect travel from both directions...so do you recommend that i take the access route as shown or have the trail directly upwind of my stand?
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 am

when you cant access it from downwind do you simply take the route that will cross the least trails that you think will affect big buck traffic around your stand? This is something I am struggling with...please give your two cents
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am

If I have to cross a deer trail that I intend to hunt where I think travel could come from either way, I cross the trail in a shooting lane and when the deer stops to smell my scent he gets whacked if he is the right one.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 pm

ok dan, i think i'll take a path more or less directly from the west and head east but not along th edge of the crp/wood line as dee like edges and i'll make sure i have a shot at the buck when he stops to smell my tracks...i'll deflate him
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Here is a video that depicts your question almost perfectly, the only difference is here we are seeing a subordinate 1.5 year old buck. As you'll see in the video I was rushed to get the camera on (wait at least 5 seconds for me to get the lens cap off!). I was filming for Arrowbender and this buck came in as we were climbing into the stand. I even believe Mike was still pulling his bow up or it was possibly still on the ground. Not even 5 minutes before we walked in on the trail this buck is cutting, however we came in from the right. We both practice pretty strict scent control including rubber boots but you can see the buck hits our scent multiple times.

Here we can see a big difference between a subordinate young buck and a mature buck. We hope to see this buck in the next couple of years as he matures.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”