PLEASE HELP!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

michbuckmaster

PLEASE HELP!!

Unread postby michbuckmaster » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 am

My boy just turned 9 and I want to get him his first REAL bow. He has been tinkering but I havent pushed him yet, now its time. What I am worried about is he is LEFT HANDED but RIGHT EYE dominant. He wants to grab a bow and gun left handed and then used is right eye to aim.

SHOULD I MAKE HIM SHOOT RIGHT HANDED?????????????
OR
Make him wear a patch. I really dont want to do that.

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 am

Right now he is only 9, just let him shoot whatever way feels natural to him at this point. Let him develop the desire and love for archery and before long (1-3 yrs) as he pursues it and becomes really interested and serious, then would be a likely time to focus on the left hand/right eye aspect.He will understand so much more about topic.
I think, as a lefty that was literally forced to deal and use right handed methods very early in life, don't force it now. It will create even bigger problems down the road. Fortunately for me, I am eft hand/eye dominate, but as a kid it was difficult. I won't even get into some of the methods used on me to make me right handed. As a result, I am completely left sided.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 am

i am left handed /left eye dominant. i shoot right handed with my right eye. my brother always tells me i should shoot left handed and id be a better shot--probably true, but im not coordinated to do so and have no interest in changing at this point. when i shoot my bow right handed/right eye, i cannot leave my left eye open , i have to close it because it wants to focus and then i end up seeing double and this happens because i am left eye dominant.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 am

I think it would be best to start him with a bow that matches his dominant eye... Later in life it would be to difficult to change.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:39 am

Have him shoot left handed with both eyes open? Would that work?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 pm

my son is right handed, left eye dominate. I asked at several pro shops and most said, have him shoot according to eye dominance. So he shoots left handed. He had a problem of switching back to right handed with a gun, but no problem starting on a bow left handed. We solved the gun problem, by getting him a BB gun, and shooting a lot. He is now 11, and has no problems of shooting left handed with gun or bow. So I would advise him to shoot according to dominate eye. ;) By the way, if you haven't decided on a youth bow yet, check out Mission Archery, by Matthews. They make some awsome youth bows that will grow with the kid.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:39 am

Start him off right, by having him shoot right handed......I made the mistake of having my wife shoot right handed, knowing she was left eye dominant and it causes more problems than if she would have just learned to shoot a bow with her left hand. Being 9 he should easily adjust to right handed shooting even though he may be primarily left handed.Do the same when he is ready for the gun.
Good luck and glad you're starting him off early!!!!!
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 am

michbuckmaster wrote:My boy just turned 9 and I want to get him his first REAL bow. He has been tinkering but I havent pushed him yet, now its time. What I am worried about is he is LEFT HANDED but RIGHT EYE dominant. He wants to grab a bow and gun left handed and then used is right eye to aim.

SHOULD I MAKE HIM SHOOT RIGHT HANDED?????????????
OR
Make him wear a patch. I really dont want to do that.
Go for the eye patch. I have seen this done with a pitcher from major league baseball, and I can't recall his name to save my life, but that is exactly what he does. He has the same problem as your boy left handed, right eye dominate. May be just as easy to work on his strength of his right arm. Don't know, your lucky that you have a 9 year old interested in bow hunting at such a young age. I wish my dad started me out bowhunting at that age. I have one that is 2 and I can't wait until I get to do that stuff.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:06 am

dan wrote:I think it would be best to start him with a bow that matches his dominant eye... Later in life it would be to difficult to change.

Agreed.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:11 am

Casper wrote:Have him shoot left handed with both eyes open? Would that work?

No, not really.

Make a cirlce with your fingers.(thumb and first finger) Hold the cicle at arms length, and look at something. Now close one eye at a time. Your dominate eye will still see the target, and the non dominant eye will be looking somewhere to the side of what you were looking at.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 pm

If you are going to shoot a bow with your non-dominant eye closed then the dominant hand/eye doesn't matter. Most competitive archers shoot their bows with both eyes open. I'm personally left eye dominant and have shot with my right hand and right eye (left eye closed). I don't notice much difference in my shot quality than others.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:58 am

James wrote:I don't notice much difference in my shot quality than others.

Man, I do :D :D :D J/K
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 am

A/C you're crackin' me up!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:23 am

Seriously though. If it were my kid I would definitely teach him to shoot dominate eye with both open. It is way easier to teach good habits than it is to fix BAD ones.
IMHO
michbuckmaster

Unread postby michbuckmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:13 pm

THanks everyone, I decided to go with a right handed bow for his right eye dominance. I picked up a Parker Buckshot with two upgraded limbs. He is SO excited, I cant wait to get it back and fitted. My little guy will be shooting with me all YEAR!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”