Do you downsize your standards ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Do you downsize your standards ?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:32 pm

How do we really know what the biggest buck is in an area? We may have somewhat of an idea but bucks show up that you only see once and their gone for good. Or the buck never shows up? So if you are waiting for the buck you think is there you could be in for a long wait. Sometimes I have a buck on my radar and some years I just can't get on to one. I'm not going to kill a dink buck the last day of the season just to kill a buck. I guess what I'm saying is I'll kill a good buck when the opportunity presents itself. Opportunity is a factor for me. :think:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Honestly I have no problem shooting a buck that is smaller than my largest. Like Matt said......if I like it I'll kill it.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:20 pm

I have eaten deer meat 5 times this week (including leftovers for lunch) and I've cooked it 3 different ways this week and it's only Thursday! I kill em and grill em and it makes me happy to do it. All deer that I have been blessed with have my respect, each one of their lives have value.

I try to keep that in mind, but it's about the caliber of bucks we harvest every year that we are judged by others. For me I keep pretty low standards, I want at least an 8 point even or outside of his ears. I want to kill enough deer to fill the freezer and I will try to kill the best buck I can in the time that I have each season.

This year I killed a 7 point. I didn't really know he was a 7 point till I found him dead. He had a messed up side on his antlers but it's ok I like character. He had a big body on him and I watched him shoving around 2 other bucks in a cutover. I passed a basket 6 point 3 times and I killed the biggest buck in the bunch. He dressed out at 160lbs.
I'm happy with what I am blessed with.
“Stay strapped or get clapped!” Theodore Roosevelt
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:47 am

I passed up more bucks this year than I ever saw during passed seasons. Since joining and using beast tactics I'm seeing more bucks and bigger bucks than ever. So in a sense I haven't downsized I've upgraded.
Joe™
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:38 am

Some people are fortunate to raise the bar year after year for a number of years. However if that's all you are looking for, disappointment is sure to come. You cannot argue dans point or Stanley's either. You have to set reasonable goals, and that will vary year to year or in different areas.
For me the one thing that has burned a hole in my pocket a couple times is passing a good buck because of the time I have left in my season. I Think, I don't want to be done with my season yet. It's been a hard lesson of mine throughout the years. How can a person really learn it? You never know what the future holds.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 am

My standards are based on time and circumstance. I will downsize them or upsize them.

I hold out for a large buck when I find them and have time to hunt. I like the challenge and the ability to spend a little extra time with mother nature chasing them. A mature buck also has about twice as much meat as a big doe.

Big is relative...last few years I've been after something with combined age and antlers that put the buck probably in the top 5% where I am hunting. There's one of them for every 20 other bucks in the area.

Come the last hunt of the year its all about meat if the freezer isn't full. I would shoot a button buck in a heartbeat if I needed the meat. Fawns are delicious :L:

I do not care for the saying "Don't shoot on the last day what you wouldn't on the first." I guess that is a pure trophy hunter saying and I am not.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am

We're not all blessed with the same skills, time, potential in the area, health or whatever. Sometimes a guy just needs a kill to help his psychy. Nowadays my main reason for wanting to kill a mature deer. Is I believe it's what's best for the herd in general in most areas.

Last year I had thoughts of a 130" or thereabouts. But with my health, how long it had been since I had even hunted and how the season progressed. With not even a doe killed for the freezer. As soon as that dink showed himself I wanted him. The rest is history.

We really have to stop comparing ourselves to others. I know this is hard for me!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:59 am

I shoot the first fat body I get an opportunity on. I don't run cameras, but scout alot and drive around alot in the summer glassing, so I usually have an idea if there are bigger deer around. With the exception of 1, i don't think i've ever laid eyes on any buck I've killed prior to killing them. Big bodies get me excited and I kill them. I really enjoy walking up on a buck and being surprised by his headgear, one way or another.
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 am

At this point in my hunting career my standards are pretty simple. If I see a nice buck on the hoof that gets me excited in the moment I'm going to send an arrow.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am

I just like to hunt but there is definitely some hunting "game theory" that goes into it, especially living in a one-buck state with a short archery season. I find my standards shift (lower) a good bit as the season goes on. They also tend to shift at the sight of a borderline buck, haha. It's kind of like picking up chicks at the bar/club scene. A dude's standards at 10 PM aren't quite the same a few hours later.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 am

I usually will start with high goals at the start of the year. And then they shift as the season goes through. For example this past season I wanted to shoot a decent (100 inch buck or better). I past everything that was smaller than that which I'm glad I did. I went without a buck this last year and I'm fine with it.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 am

For me it comes down to age not rack score.

3.5 year old or older I am happy with.

If I were in a area I could take only 1 buck I would be much more selective and probably push 140 plus only. My state were allowed 2 bucks.

I just can't shoot a 2.5 year old I see the future potential in everything and let them go.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 am

I never start a season with a preset standard.

I don't pull the trigger, if I'm not happy with it. I will only know in that moment if I will kill it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 am

I would shoot any mature buck with my bow. I've never harvested a buck with an arrow. I like to think I'm more selective with my gun. But honestly there are some properties I would shoot just about anything on. When I shot my nice buck this past year I would have shot any deer with antlers that day. It just worked out to be a nice one. I try not to get to caught up in antler size. Most antlers will get me shaking in a tree!

I have passed on a lot of nice bucks with my gun in the past, I wish I would have just shot them. Hind sights 50/50, at least I think that is how that saying goes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 am

Some guys will get desperate as the season is winding down and will kill a smaller buck than what they wanted. If they are happy with that great but if they are just doing it to say they filled their buck tag I get really disappointed hearing that especially when they talk negatively about the buck not being very big. If you kill one be happy about it otherwise don’t even realease an arrow. Save the deer for somebody that will really appreciate it. Tag soup isn’t really all that bad once you acquire a taste for it. :lol:

Stanley said it best awhile back......everybody wants to kill a big buck but then they kill the first average buck that walks by. It’s impossible to kill a big buck if you keep tagging the small bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”