Bald Spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Brad

Re: Bald Spots

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 am

I always wondered what that was from, the Buck I shot with a bow in 2011 had a patch missing, I told the taxidermist to keep it just how it was, I think its neat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 am

Craaaig wrote:Maybe it's from the antlers being so big that anytime the bucks does anything that involves it lifting its head up his antlers hit his back. Just like the licking branch theory but a combination of everything. Anything from looking up when squirrels come flying through the trees to trying to reach higher browse to looking uphill or jumping up a steep ridge and using a licking branch...maybe it's from his everyday life!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I think Im with you on this one Craig. Makes perfect sense to me!
You can't kill em on the couch
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 am

This is cool. We all pretty much agree that the spots are from antlers.

Ask this on archery fight and at least half will say it's from fences.

It just proves where the real deer hunters hang out. :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Spysar wrote:This is cool. We all pretty much agree that the spots are from antlers.

Ask this on archery fight and at least half will say it's from fences.

It just proves where the real deer hunters hang out. :D

Those guys coveralls still have the tags from Cabelas on. The guys that know, have coveralls sewn and patched up from fences. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Brandon wrote:
Craaaig wrote:Maybe it's from the antlers being so big that anytime the bucks does anything that involves it lifting its head up his antlers hit his back. Just like the licking branch theory but a combination of everything. Anything from looking up when squirrels come flying through the trees to trying to reach higher browse to looking uphill or jumping up a steep ridge and using a licking branch...maybe it's from his everyday life!

I think Im with you on this one Craig. Makes perfect sense to me!

X2, I will add a theory that is in line with Craig's first post about the series of 60 photos. I think deer do a lot of "licking & cleaning" while in their beds.
Just like a cat or dog will groom itself, I think deer will do the same thing. When they turn their head backwards the antler rubs the back of the fur in
different spots. Some of these rub spots are towards the back of the deer (above rear legs) which I ask how do the antlers get that far back working
a scrape? I agree that it is probably a combination of activities, but thought I would throw in the bedding theory...just my thoughts.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 am

I have to agree with the "rack" theory. There isnt alot fences by the Hillcountry I hunt, therefore tips of racks rubbing against hind / back area makes sense.

p.s. I'm bald and cant use that excuse.... :lol:
RJR-007
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:37 am

This may be a stretch but does anybody notice an increase in bald spot occurring in areas where deer populations are high and agriculture production is low. Seems as though it would be more frequent in areas where deer have to browse on leaves, berries and new growth on trees (head up feeding) as opposed to areas with crops on the ground such as soybeans, post harvest corn and acorns(head down feeding)? I may be putting more thought into this than what it is worth. I just have never observed the bald spots in person in any of the areas that I hunt, most of those areas aren't ground scrape heavy either though.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am

And there's the proof!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

The start of a bald spot? Or roughed up hair!!!

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm

What's interesting about my pics and DANNs pics is that there is a good span of time inbetween the itching/scratching pics, and that's within a couple hours, add a couple years and a bare spot is inevitable! The reason why they itch/scratch is bothering me because deer behavior is so questionable! Deer seem to have more personalities than we give credit to!!

Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 am

Can we put them on an intelligence level with chimps now, since you all have proven they are "tool" users?(back scratchers)Don't set you guns or knives down anymore who knows what could happen. :D
Craaaig

Unread postby Craaaig » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 am

Haha if they start sharpening their antlers on rocks then we might have a war on our hands!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”