Huge Island Scrape

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Swampthing
500 Club

Huge Island Scrape

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:37 pm

This might be commonplace in other areas.But for my area their are very few if any scrapes around.And the few that are around are small ,only mabey 1 1/2 foot across and smaller licking branch. The one I found was mabey 4 foot across and a licking branch as big as my thumb. It was 5' 9" high cause I could walk under and it was touching my head. I,m not much of a scrape hunter but it sure was nice too see sign like that. Hopefully there is at least 1 big guy roaming that island.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Huge Island Scrape

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Sounds like it could be a primary scrape and might be the 1st place the island bucks head in the evening. If its not far from the bedding, it might be a place to consider hunting.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

Is the licking branch dead? I've noticed that quite often in primary scrapes...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:55 pm

dan wrote:Sounds like it could be a primary scrape and might be the 1st place the island bucks head in the evening. If its not far from the bedding, it might be a place to consider hunting.

it,s kinda smack dab in the middle of the island but right along the trail running East- west with all the big droppings. I did find another big pile of clumped droppings right next to the scrape on the trail .It was weird cause there were 5 or 6 seperate clumped droppings all laying on top of one another like a cat useing a litter box .It must be more than coincidence that a buck would crap exactly in the same spot 6 times ?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm

3dog wrote:Is the licking branch dead? I've noticed that quite often in primary scrapes...

yes it is and very large .We don,t have a real healthy buck ratio around here .But with a big scrape like that is,nt that telling me that there are 2 or more mature bucks vying for breeding rights on that island.
I,ve read that if there is a low buck to doe ratio that the bucks don,t scrape much cause there is no need to compete or advertise.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 am

Most people think of scrapes and think of field edge or travel corridor scrapes. In that case I'd agree, more does equals less scrapes. The scrape you found is likely a primary and the buck will hit it any time of the year. Could you tell if the scrape has been hit this summer? I would bet that it has... I found this licking branch last year in early September

The buck was bedded 30 yards off a 4 wheeler/walking path. When I took 2 steps off the path in his direction he blew out of there, obviously he was monitoring people. I found the scrape and branch next but it took me a bit to find his bed which was buried in thick stuff 10 yards from the scrape. It's likely your buck is bedded very close to the scrape as well, good luck with him.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

3dog wrote:Most people think of scrapes and think of field edge or travel corridor scrapes. In that case I'd agree, more does equals less scrapes. The scrape you found is likely a primary and the buck will hit it any time of the year. Could you tell if the scrape has been hit this summer? I would bet that it has... I found this licking branch last year in early September

Thats very cool info thanx.I thought it was odd that i found so much sign right by the scrape. I did,nt really expect any sign.But right next to the scrape was a mound of 5 or 6 huge piles of clumped droppings.It,s funny you say the buck is bedded nearby,cause I,ve only saw mutiple clumped droppings like that in the past when I was right on top of buck beds.

The buck was bedded 30 yards off a 4 wheeler/walking path. When I took 2 steps off the path in his direction he blew out of there, obviously he was monitoring people. I found the scrape and branch next but it took me a bit to find his bed which was buried in thick stuff 10 yards from the scrape. It's likely your buck is bedded very close to the scrape as well, good luck with him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”