Stinky, sweaty shirt trick?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
PLB
500 Club

Stinky, sweaty shirt trick?

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:56 am

Just curious what all the bear hunters think of this? I've been told by a number of my bear hunting friends to hang a stinky shirt near the bait a couple weeks before season. That way the bigger bears get used of that scent being fresh on the bait when they come in, like you are there NOW? It might prevent them from coming in for a couple days but once they do and don't get an arrow thru them, they will forget about it. Makes sense! In fact, my brother booked a trip in Canada next August and the owner said for my brother to mail a sweaty t shirt to him before season. He said if you don't do this, you wont see any bears for the first couple days. Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried this trick and had luck with it? Thanks, PLB

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: Stinky, sweaty shirt trick?

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 am

I would not run the risk of spooking a mature bear from the bait, never to return. I think it will work for younger bears, but the wise old boars will not tolerate it.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:38 am

I wouldn't think this would work. Isn't this kind of like a deer knowing how old your scent trail is by the strength of the smell. I would think the bears would stay away for the first couple of days because of the strong odor. As the shirt hangs there, I would think the strong scent would disapate. Then when you show up and the scent is strong again they stay away. If it does work, why doesn't everyone hang a stinky shirt from their deer stand? I just don't see it working. Maybe I'm way off but that's what I would think.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Less is best. Try to play the wind and leave little human scent or they will go nocturnal really quick...especially a mature boar.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm

That's what I think too! Just wanted to check with you guys first! I will go in as quiet and clean as I can and hope for the best ;) As far as playing the wind for bear hunting, man that's tough. I have literally got bear trails all around this bait, and have seen them come from every direction. Lately according to my cameras they seem to be coming in on our walking trail. All the bear scat on the way in would confirm this too! I am eliminating a cameraman this year and all the extra scent that goes along with having one. If I do film my hunt, it will be a solo effort! I plan to use some anise and some coon urine as cover scent.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't think cover scent works... A lot of big boars will circle down wind and scent the bait before coming in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”