Stand/Blind Placement...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Stand/Blind Placement...

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am

Hey guys i was referred here by a great guy off archery talk that said you guys knew alot about scouting...i just need a few ideas of where i could put up a stand or blind. basically i am looking for ideas i could scout.
Spot #1
the red box is our land
the blue box is our neighbors bean field which i can hunt a little whenever they are not.
the pink solid box is where they have a perminent stand
the blue solid box is where i am %75 sure on putting my blind(thick evergreens with a 15yard circular clearing where i have alot on camera)

the trouble is i see alot of deer this time of year but once it starts getting colder i see nothing at all! literally last year i got like 5 pictures of a buck and he was tiny.
Spot #2
The red box is our land
The blue box is our neighbors land who does not hunt but allows my family and his to hunt.
The pink solid box is a neighbors friends stand(great spot but i can not hunt his land )
The orange solid box is where my uncles hangs his stand during rifle and sees deer come through there about 9-10a.m.
The green solid box is where i am thinking about setting up my stand because of my uncle.
The yellow solid box is where i have a mineral site that is very well visited.

One VERY IMPORTANT THING- THERE ARE COWS ON BOTH THESE PROPERTIES!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Stand/Blind Placement...

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am

Can you post topo maps of the same properties?
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm

here you go....i used the same markings as before....use the ponds for reference if you are lost haha, thanks!
Spot 1-Image
Spot 2-Image
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:37 am

ttt :D
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 am

I would walk the blue lines and look for buck bedding on the marked up map I provided... Red dots are spots I would expect to find buck bedding based on layout, elevation, transition or a combination of those. Yellow dots are spots I would likely consider stand sites at. After scouting some of them might be taken off the map, and some added. I would avoid hunting right down in the river bottom. I would also pay close attention when scouting for buck beds that are positioned to watch or smell you access this property and would take that into consideration when planning your access roughts.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 pm

wow thanks! that is very helpful!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 pm

I marked 3 red dots on this topo to point out likely bedding areas based on elevation. The spot farthest to the left would be the best most likely spot for me to expect a big buck to bed. He would over look the river valley and be near the point with a south wind, to the right of the point with a west wind, and to the left with an East wind..
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am

Dan why would you stay out of the river bottom for hunting? Just for this set up or you stay away from the river areas hunting anywhere.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:10 am

Beauford wrote:Dan why would you stay out of the river bottom for hunting? Just for this set up or you stay away from the river areas hunting anywhere.

Its dependent on winds and thermals... But most mature bucks bed on the points over looking the river bottoms in hilly terrain and either see you down there or catch your scent in the thermal currents that pull scent up to the points.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey Dan could you explain the wind directions you choose on the topo. How did you come to the west and east?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Hey Dan could you explain the wind directions you choose on the topo. How did you come to the west and east?

This property is not very well set up for North wind bedding... Even N.East, or N.West.
The bedding buck is going to want to face looking down hill with wind to his back and the thermal wind coming up the hill from the bottoms. He will bed right where these two winds meet. South wind is Ideal, however, an East, or West wind could be doable in the spot to the West on the map and maybe the spot to the East... The buck will bed on the East side of the point rather than right on the point with a West wind, and will bed on the West side for an East wind...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:31 am

Good discussion going here, I'm learning alot off this one. Thanks, this is a prime example, of the value of this site.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks Dan that cleared it up for me. You the Man!! I wish you would put out a Topo reading DVD for dummies. I would buy that. You make it very clear for us THANKS!!! :)
matson123

Unread postby matson123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:21 pm

This is great stuff! I have a similar parcel and can take a lot of this to heart!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 am

matson123 wrote:This is great stuff! I have a similar parcel and can take a lot of this to heart!

Welcome to the forum Matson. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”