Late Recoveries or Lost & Found - Your Story

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Late Recoveries or Lost & Found - Your Story

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 am

What's your story/pic?

Five years ago my dad was gun hunting the the last day of the season in Red Granite on a 188 acre parcel he and my other relatives lease for the year.

This land is full of young pine and scrub oaks, and when your in a tripod, appears similar to a christmas tree farm (with lots of mixed in scrub oaks). There are certain areas of the land where the trees are younger than other areas, and some do not have any scrub oaks. There are also two adjacent plots of pines that are mature and full grown. They are thick and tall and it would seem difficult to walk through from the outside, but once inside, theres plenty of clearence for walking. This is always a great place to push hiding deer on a last minute drive. Additionally between the large thick mature pine series, there is a 200 yard long and 50 yard wide cleared (retired)hayfield, which would be perfect for planting a food plot, but they never have... Now you understand the land.

He left his stand and was heading for my step brother, who was sitting in a ground blind at the time. The time was nearly noon and they were going to discuss their mornings and share some lunch/water. As he exited the baby pine field, he was staring out across the open field between the two thick pine patches - on the right was Mark, my step bro, who remained in his blind on the inside corner/edge of one of these pines thickets, yet faced the opposite direction.

As he made his way along the edge, a very heavy horned buck ran out of one pine thicket and started running across the field. My dad raised his Thompson Center smoke pole after the deer passed between himself and Mark and lined up with the front of the deers brisket as it moved.

BOOM!, the deer dropped, but slowly rose and began violently shaking his head as he now slow trotted the rest of teh way off the field. Meanwhile, dad rushed to reload and immediately pulled up on the big buck just as he reached the pines.

The deer stopped quartering away and turned his aching head back to look at my dad, who slowly squeezed off another round.

"BOOM!!"The deer hunched up and scooted into the pines.

Upon looking for blood, only some hair and minimal blood was evident - he spent the better half of the afternoon looking.

2 YEARS LATER

October brought the family back together as we met on the land for a day of setting stands and scouting. I had picked out a hill side that over-looked a young field of pines in rows. As a team, we shortcut through the young pines (6-8' tall) and headed towards the prospect stand site for my tripod.

As we walked, my uncle Alan, who is 15' to my right, mutters, "Whoah!!", and picks up the head of a very heavy horned 11 point with a very unique rack. Adding to his character was a a chip off his main beam - not a big chip, but a chip. In the center of that chip was the perfect rounded groove where a bullet had struck through!

My dad was ashamed to have lost such a great buck, and because the rack was a bit bleached from 2 years under the sun and weather, he did not hang the head on any walls, rather, he uses as a garden ornament on his farm... I still pick that thing up and remember the story he told of the buck the evening it happened when he left the woods - I always wondered what happened to that deer, now I know.

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Late Recoveries or Lost & Found - Your Story

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Here's the story of a small buck I lost and then found much later. I was a pretty young hunter, but was already very adept at arrowing whitetails, buck and doe. A friend of mine, who also was a whitetail fanatic, bet me that he could get a buck with the bow during the upcoming season faster than I could. Being young and somewhat foolish, I accepted the bet- something I would laugh at now, and consider irresponsible- deer hunting is much more than a bet to me. Anyway, I positively knew I would win, and found the bet laughable. On opening morning of the Michigan bow season, I arrowed a forker in the big woods on public land five minutes after first light. The tracking proved to be my downfall, as even though I tracked out a major turn the buck made while following a scant bloodtrail, I ended up unable to locate him over the next couple of days. A trapper I knew from the area found my buck in the middle of a big beaver pond (what was left of him) and cut off the horns to give to me. I didn't lose the bet but that had nothing to do with this buck. On opening morning of bow season I went from being a proud rooster to eating crow.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:59 am

Similarly, my good friend Joe shot a small buck two years ago in Rhinelander on public land. The deer ran over the ridge and through a tamarack swamp on the other side. Assuming these woods were huge and he'd hiked in a good ways, he waited for a while unsure of his shot fearing no one would intercept his deer.

The best part of all this was he video'd from start to finish of his hunt. As he trails the deer in the snow, he sees ahead of him that what appear to be people tracks intersect the blood trail and begin traveling along it.

Now worried, he hurriedly progresses through the swamp only to eventually arrive at a large bog pond. The people tracks end here and appear that the two people were pacing in the immediate area... He began wondering WTH.

Then, as he speaks into the camera about the oddness of the situation, he sees his buck floating way out in the pond. Long story short, he walks around to the point where he's close enough to reach the floating deer with the rope his buddy brought (called him to help on radio), ties a cross with wood into the rope and begins fishing for it.

Eventually the wood cross catches a leg and he was able to slowly pull the floating deer to shore.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

In 2000, I was hunting a bedding area that had virtually no rubs or sign of any kind. It is a thick clear cut with briars and young oaks. On the west side I found a faint trail leaving the cut and headed north. Having scouted the year before I knew of a big bed that was on top of a knoll right in the middle of the cut. November 12 had me high in an oak till 10:30 am. At that time I started munching on a pb&j. Half way through the sandwich, I caught movement to the north and proceeded to watch as a 145 class 8 pt was doggin a doe. Having hunted the area for 15+ years, I knew that anything could happen. At 11:45am the two were interrupted by a giant 10 pt who was surely the big dog. For 10 minutes I watched as the two bucks chased and postured for each other. Having realized he was about to get his but kicked, the 8 pt left the pursuit and started the 100 yd journey to the cut entrance trail where I was posted. This surprised me because the wind was out of the NW and that's which way he was coming. At 20 yds the buck turned around to look at the chase that the giant 10 was now having. I used this opportunity to draw and miss. The buck ran into the cut and stood there looking back wondering what had happened. Continued....
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

With an overwhelming feeling of sadness and frustration. I stood there in complete disbelief as the biggest buck of my life walked into the bedding area. Myself accompanied by my broken heart walked back to the truck. Nov 17 2000, I found myself in a down pour posted in the same stand. At 9:15am, I decided to go back to the truck, change clothes and come back. As I walked down the trail approximately 100yds from the truck, that same 8 pt stepped across the logging road headed to the same bed. Knowing where he was going I quickly ran back in hopes of catching him crossing the other logging road. At 125 yds he stepped out and proceeded to drink when I pulled the trigger on the 50 cal smoke pole only to hear a pop! from the primer. I quickly threw in another one and this time there was no delay. The buck jumped with a mule kick across the road. I walked down to where he stood only to find a little blood and a lot of brown hair. Continued.....
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

For 2 hours I tried to find him, but with no blood, I fell to my knees completely broken. I was soaked to the bone and the rain showed no signs of letting up. After a change of clothes and some food, I went back to crawling and climbing through the briars. Darkness fell quickly and I was empty handed. The next 4 days was filled with an unbelievable cold from that day. After the season I was talking with a fellow hunter who also hunts and lives in the area. He encouraged me to get back out there and find him, so that afternoon I did just that. This time I wore carhartts to help with the wounds. Upon entering the cut on the entry trail I found tracks in the snow. As I followed, I noticed that 1 set left the trail. I followed the other tracks beyond the same place I left off the day it happened. As darkness fell I decided to go back to the single set of tracks that had left the main trail. After a brutal battle with the thicket, I turned around to retrieve my hat. As I turned to focus on the faint trail, there, just yards from me laid the remains of the biggest buck I had ever shot. Nothing left, but bones and the head, I was happy, yet sad that I hadn't found him sooner. I returned the next afternoon to analyze where I went wrong. The short of it... From the point of death to the point where I had fell to my knees broken was a distance of only 80 yards. Unbelievable 80 yards! I learned a lot that year. The most important lesson's are this. Attitude is everything in the woods and in life. And the other, We may be down and broken, but that doesn't mean we're beaten. NEVER GIVE UP!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”