Do you eat bear meat?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Dewey

Re: Do you eat bear meat?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 am

Best tasting wild game there is in my opinion. :)
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:01 am

I agree with Dewey...but only if it's cooked properly.
First time I ate bear meat, I hated it. My friend cooked it way too long and it was dry and gross.

I eat my bear meat just like any other venison steak or beef steak. Medium rare.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:10 am

I didn't like it much till I shot a small one... Then it was awesome!
But it goes deeper than the age of the bear or proper cooking. Care for the bear in the field and getting the meat taken care of and cooled as soon as possible after the kill is just as important in how it ends up on your plate.
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:14 am

I've only ever had it once, but it was kind of greasy. I'm sure I would love it if I had it cooked right.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 am

dan wrote:I didn't like it much till I shot a small one... Then it was awesome!
But it goes deeper than the age of the bear or proper cooking. Care for the bear in the field and getting the meat taken care of and cooled as soon as possible after the kill is just as important in how it ends up on your plate.

That's very true Dan...proper field dressing and care prior to freezing is a big factor with any meat.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 am

That's very true Dan...proper field dressing and care prior to freezing is a big factor with any meat.

Especially bear... They don't last near as long as a deer. They spoil really quick because of the thick hide acting like insulation.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Most of the bear I've had has been really good. But most of my bear have been small. That means not only younger but also easier to handle and faster to cool.
I hear people say it's greasey but have never found that to be so. Quite contrary actually. Very lean. Alot of fat next to the meat but not that needs to be eaten.
Like any game remove all fat and silver skin and cook on the rare side of medium.
The burger is exceptional IMO.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Bear meat is preferred over venison in our family.

Dan is right, preperation is the key, the hide must come off with-in hours of the kill for the best results.

The meat is "marbled" with fat that makes excellent hamburger.

Greasy cleaning.....like a skinning big coon.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 am

Do you ask for some analyses before eat bear meet?
I hear about a lot of trichinoses with bears meet?

Any way I would say the moose one have my priority for them test...I did eat once my own bear it was good but not exceptional. IMO
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:26 am

I hear about a lot of trichinoses with bears meet?

They are in the "pig" family if I understand correctly, so trichinoses
might be a factor, in which case the meat should be fully cooked.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:04 am

One of the best tasting animals in the food chain, and of course proper care in the field and in the kitchen is required. We ate backstrap one time in bear camp that was grilled and I swear it was better than the best cut of beef I have ever eaten.......Matter of fact I have some bear in the freezer that needs eating.......gotta get it thawed!!! :mrgreen:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 am

If I'm not mistaking pigs and bear are not related but they both can carry the trichinae worm. WiBowhuntress- be careful on eating un cooked bear meat.

My take on bear meat, one of the best tasting meats out there.

Dan mentioned preparation of the meat after the kill. That's a huge reason why most people say bear meat don't taste very good, they don't know the proper way to take care of It. Many of you mentioned that the hide has allot to do with the meat not cooling very well but It's also the fat that's In the meat too that spoils It. The bigger the bear the better chance of the meat spoiling. Our hunting party has lost a few bear over the years and most reasons were because we didn't take care of the meat properly. I believe you should go one step farther when you get yourself a bear. Quarter It out as well Instead of just skinning It. That way your 100% safe In keeping the meat good. Try keeping the fly's off of the meat also.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 am

Copied from Wikepidia:
"Is a black bear in the swine family"?

No, the Bear is in the family of Ursea. The pig is the family of Susidea. They are not even in the same order. The closest resemblance is in the class - Mammalia

Also from wikepidiea:

Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm. There are eight Trichinella species; five species are encapsulated and three are non-encapsulated.[1] Only three Trichinella species are known to cause trichinosis: T. spiralis, T. nativa, and T. britovi.[1] The few cases in the United States are mostly the result of eating undercooked game, bear meat, or home-reared pigs. It is common in developing countries where meat fed to pigs is raw or undercooked, but many cases also come from developed countries in Europe and North America, where raw or undercooked pork and wild game may be consumed as delicacies.[2]
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I have only shot and butchered one bear. It was delicious.

Bear are omnivores and I believe the old addage you are what you eat comes into play here.

Their diet, is what they will taste like. Then second, handling of meat in the field to the table will come into play. Third, there are always tricks to make meat taste good, I have heard people on this forum talk of eating good tasting crow, coyote, etc..
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”