Do trail cameras spook deer out of an area?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
James
ProStaff

Re: Do trail cameras spook deer out of an area?

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't believe that the modern IR trail cameras spook deer however the frequent visits to check them do.

Since most of the new models advertise batteries that last over a month I've been thinking of placing one in late July or early August and not touching it until I walk in to hunt on opening day. Even if it is in a spot that I wouldn't hunt.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Doubt they scar eall der- but they do some.

General rule; do not use them where you will hunt.

Assuming human presenc, especially ethat of the cam junkies out there, is more of an issue.

will alos add- my buddy who is a big buck producer hates them and i have never killed a good one i had a hard horned picture of (and I do not just rut hunt)

Just my $0.02 though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:28 pm

I havent been using using IR cameras very long but it seems like with the pictures and videos I get, the deer are a lot more freaked out and I get a lot of "deer in the headlights" poses and deer running away in videos. Much more than with a regular flash camera. Seems like they think a regular flash is more natural than a red glow lighting up in front of them.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:32 am

This guys loves IR camera's.. ;)
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:34 am

I think he is trying to eat my camera ! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:44 am

The fact that he is staring directly at and checking out the camera means that he can see the red glow or he can hear the camera...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:45 pm

dan wrote:The fact that he is staring directly at and checking out the camera means that he can see the red glow or he can hear the camera...

I agree, he know's somethings up, but this is about the 3rd different time he's been there, so it doesn't seem to bother him too much anyway... But yes, I agree, they do seem to know somethings up. I think also, they see the red glow, which does bother me, I think I need to be more sneaky on camera placement.. Dan, does anybody make any sort of a universal swivel quick lock system where you can tilt the camera around at any angle and lock in place ? I'm sure someone does, I'm just too lazy to look right now... ;)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:39 am

Dan, does anybody make any sort of a universal swivel quick lock system where you can tilt the camera around at any angle and lock in place ? I'm sure someone does, I'm just too lazy to look right now..

Predator does... And so does my Friend John Kitscha...
I have noticed I no longer get deer staring at the camera since using Predators. The main reason I put them high when I do is to keep people from stealing them.
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am

dan wrote:The fact that he is staring directly at and checking out the camera means that he can see the red glow or he can hear the camera...

Possibly but I've thought of this. My house cat will walk the same patterns and pass the same objects time and time again in our house, however if you put something new in the area and he spots it he immediately goes over to sniff it and investigate.

I'd like to see if guys did a super job of camouflaging their cameras if the deer would pay them any attention.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 am

James wrote:I don't believe that the modern IR trail cameras spook deer however the frequent visits to check them do.

Take that to the bank and cash it.

I think that deer movements change through the summer/early fall as different forages ripen for them. I was getting a ton of pics on my mineral right up until a week or so ago. There are white oaks dropping already in my area as well as beans starting to mature, hence I'm losing some deer activity. Irritates me because I don't have the time to put into scouting like I want. I guess its fawn pics from here on out! ;)

That being said, some deer will spook at the flash IMO , but not all of them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:49 am

James wrote:

Possibly but I've thought of this. My house cat will walk the same patterns and pass the same objects time and time again in our house, however if you put something new in the area and he spots it he immediately goes over to sniff it and investigate.

I'd like to see if guys did a super job of camouflaging their cameras if the deer would pay them any attention.

Well, I can tell you this... When Andrae used all cuddeback cameras most of the deer were staring at the camera. Some were running, and some never went past that location again.
When he switched to predator very seldom would a pic be of a deer looking at the camera.
Bird

Unread postby Bird » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Just my 2 cents here, but here is our story.

We had a 5 1/2 year old 180 class buck 4 years ago on our property and had many pictures of him, over 40 before bow season started.

We then started hunting and he left the area, we started getting pictures of him towards the end of oct. We started hunting him hard where we would get pictures of him, but of course had to check the camera's to get the pictures.

The neighbors killed this buck gun season of 2006, scored 186.

He would show up on random camera's and when we would check them he would not show up for 2 weeks after we would check camera's.

We now run Buck-eye-cams which are expensive, but wireless tramsmit pictures to a base that you can have a camp or somewhere out of the woods. We have multiple pictures of big bucks on our land and never have to go to the camera's. They a have solar panels on them so battery's stay charged, and they have a black IR flash, so they are even less noticeable that the red flash.

Anyhow if you want more info, let me know, these camera's are not cheap, but I can tell you that you do not need to visit your camera area's with these camera's and it helps termendously on keeping your scent out of the woods. You will not spook deer using these camera's.

Bird.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Bird,
I was just looking at those Buckeye cams. Sounds like the ticket for personal propertys. It sure beats paying a cell phone bill to have the pic's emailed to you from the camera.
But its almost cheating. I could imagine having one of those cam's set up on each buck bed and just checking easch morning and when the buck is on the pic's in one of the bedding areas just move in and set up on the staging area and kill him and never scent up the property till he shows.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:47 pm

dan wrote:Bird,
I was just looking at those Buckeye cams. Sounds like the ticket for personal propertys. It sure beats paying a cell phone bill to have the pic's emailed to you from the camera.
But its almost cheating. I could imagine having one of those cam's set up on each buck bed and just checking easch morning and when the buck is on the pic's in one of the bedding areas just move in and set up on the staging area and kill him and never scent up the property till he shows.

Dan...
I don't have the Wisconsin rule book infront of me, but doesn't it say in there that you can't use any sort of electronic device to AID in hunting purposes ? Seems like trail cameras are on a fine line of breaking that law ?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:57 am

Its all a matter of interpretation of that specific law. As of now it has not been used to prosicute hunters in Wisconsin.
Some states have however specifically outlawed the use of trail cameras for hunting purposes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”